Fwd: Bee Sanctuary Collaboration

Derek Downey

Jul 13, 2019, 5:04:11 PM7/13/19

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Derek Downey <beelovepe...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: Bee Sanctuary Collaboration
To: Paul Marshall <pa...@farmvetco.org>
Cc: Christian Coulon <chris...@gmail.com>, EC Garden at UC Davis <ecga...@gmail.com>, Adam McCoy <amc...@gmail.com>, Kyle Shankle <kwsh...@ucdavis.edu>, Halley Patteson <hfpat...@ucdavis.edu>, Ben Pearl <benjam...@gmail.com>, tamer...@gmail.com <tamer...@gmail.com>, domies <dom...@ucdavis.edu>, Ian Campbell <itcam...@ucdavis.edu>, Kiana Borjian <ksbo...@ucdavis.edu>, Asher Belden <schadomesc...@gmail.com>

Hi friends,

I am hosting a workparty at the Davis Bee Sanctuary tomorrow, SUNDAY from around 9am-noon to do weeding, pruning, watering, and clearing of junk to make way for future bee gardens. All are welcome and I'm happy to give a quick tour of garden for anyone interested. Feel free to forward this to anyone interested, especially Domies and EC Gardeners wanting to help revamp the Bee Sanctuary. Bring a wheelbarrow if you have one, please! I will bring fresh plums and peaches to share!

Bee Love,
Derek Downey

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:16 PM Paul Marshall <pa...@farmvetco.org> wrote:

Hello,

I think Derek is pretty much on point there. For buying supplies for the garden, I get discounts thru work at places like FarmTech, BCS, High Mowing Seeds, etc. so we save a bit of money there as well. Also, a list of potential places to apply for grants. And a bunch of “pollinator” seed packets available.

I am very interested in hands-on learning beekeeping. I’ve taken a couple classes at E.L. Nino & currently an online classes Heroes to Hives, but I lack the hands-on experience I want.

Weekends are always best for me to help out in any way, but… I do travel somewhat often for work so there can be 1-2 weekends a month I may not be available… including the weekend on the schedule.

Wood chips are always good, even if they sit for a season, they can be used for all the mulch needed under the fruit trees, pathways, etc.

Paul Marshall

Director  | Training & Education

Manager | Homegrown By Heroes Label

Farmer Veteran Coalition

pa...@farmvetco.org

Office: (530) 419-4143

www.farmvetco.org

FVC Logo from Letterhead sig 4

facebook ig-logo-email twitter linkedin youtube

Aug 6, 2019, 10:25:02 AM8/6/19
to Derek Downey, Samuel Madrigal, mariah cook, wvaqu...@ucdavis.edu, Adam McCoy, Asher Belden, Ben Pearl, EC Garden at UC Davis, Halley Patteson, Ian Campbell, Kiana Borjian, Kyle Shankle, Margit Vogel, Paul Marshall, Domies, tamer...@gmail.com
That's big bee hive-five back atcha, with an extra pollinator salute Bee-Luvva! 😄

To the folk artists and sub/urban bee-keepers of the Circle of Bees project: I recommend this list. To get on it simply reply to this email.

I will also forward on interesting stuff that happens in it as relevant to you.

A bit more:

Being a part of this project is an excellent opportunity for bee-keeping education and pollinator art as well as a critical center for our greater effort to make the city more like a garden orchard farm forest meadow, and assorted miscellaneous wild natural place.

We are collaborating with the Domes and EC garden to realize a very beautiful vision of Derek's, which he is now building forcefully again after years of hiatus.

The Bee Sanctuary at the Domes and EC Garden is a core of deep ecology in this city, and a genuine "permaculture" experience.

Derek has implemented hugelculture beds, a food forest, and planted all kinds of interesting and useful rooted things. He has sown the seed of a cathedral-like pollinator paradisio in the heart of darkness of the suburban sprawl.

As an urban druid Derek is rich in lore about the place and this town, and lots more cool stuff beyond (ie he maintains a mushroom bed in his garden for his honeybees to chew on, and it produces loads of delicious edible wine caps too).

As well there are many beekeepers and gardeners of all ages connected to this project, and therefore a lot of energy, ideas, and knowledge to gain from with.

Even more:

With this group we are working on a grant from the University to develop the project further. Especially with all the progress we have made developing contacts at schools and in coordination with the city-wide swarm capture network, we have an opportunity to connect students and community around sub/urban ecology, art, eduction, technology, which is more or less the target of the grant, so worth a shot!

The Bee Sanctuary at the Domes and EC Gardens is a project center for us regardless of funding, so once more: I recommend being in the loop and giving a bit of effort here as well well worth it to make this place beautiful.

Cheers,
Christian

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 11:53 PM Derek Downey <beelovepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Mariah and everyone who came last Saturday to help out! It was great to meet everyone, look into Adam's hive, and get the garden under control. And thanks Samuel for inviting Wilson to the list (hi Wilson--hope to meet you soon!)

I just created a google group related to the Davis Bee Sanctuary. I have invited everyone on this particular email string and will be adding others to it as I figure out who wants to join the community. If you want to help me invite people, please join and let me know so I can give you manager settings.

Here are a couple action shots I took on Saturday...hope you can open them!

Next Work Party at the Bee Sanctuary will be 8am-1pm on SUNDAY 8/18. Please bring a wheelbarrow if you have one to help spread mulch. I will have my bobcat and bin dumper and can bring piles closer to the Bee Sanctuary for spreading once grading is complete. The grading work is designed to raise the paths to keep them dry and smooth while shedding water to nearby swales. I'm happy to share permaculture wisdom at work parties if anyone wants to learn more on the topic.

Till' next time give a bee a hive five!
-Derek

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Samuel Madrigal <samuel.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Connecting Wilson ( a domie )

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM mariah cook <maria...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for inviting us today! It was great meeting everyone. We are a go for any future meet-ups too.
Mariah

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 10:04 PM Derek Downey <beelovepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for asking Mariah,

Here's the exact location:
Dropped pin
Near California 95616

I will be bringing my bobcat and dump trailer tomorrow morning around 8am. Ear mufflers will be nice to have. I can bring some extra ear plugs if needed.

See you all at our 10 am meeting or any point 8-1.

Cheers,
Derek

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 9:16 PM mariah cook <maria...@gmail.com> wrote:
Newbie here- can you send me location for where to meet? See you around 8am

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 7:59 PM Derek Downey <beelovepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good point Paul,

Let's plan for 10am Saturday 8/3 for a meeting at Davis Bee Sanctuary. It's NOT THIS WEEKEND, but the FOLLOWING WEEKEND! I will be there around 8am to 1pm for anyone that wants to come before, during, or after the meeting too.

Thanks!
 Derek Downey

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 8:48 AM Paul Marshall <pa...@farmvetco.org> wrote:

Sounds good to me. Though, from personal experience after working for many hrs, being tired, hot & sweaty… I’m not sure how many are going to want to stick around for a planning meeting.

Paul Marshall

Director  | Training & Education

Manager | Homegrown By Heroes Label

USMC Veteran

Farmer Veteran Coalition

pa...@farmvetco.org

Office: (530) 419-4143

www.farmvetco.org

conference 3

facebook ig-logo-email twitter linkedin youtube