This Week in ArtScroll Takes Over the SY Community (6/27)

David Shasha

Jun 27, 2021, 7:22:23 AM6/27/21
to david...@googlegroups.com

ArtScroll Takes the SYs!

For those who might have missed it, here is the special newsletter I put together on Sephardic Judaism and ArtScroll:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C7oM2lxCJliAFbpL4CHqqnJK7HZAao9heo6XoBrI9n8/edit

The newsletter was devoted to dismantling the Haredization of the Sephardic heritage by Rabbi David Sutton in his book Aleppo, City of Scholars:

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781578190560.html

Sutton, with the help of his father-in-law Rabbi Nosson Scherman and the ace censorship of the ArtScroll staff, turned Aleppo into Slobodka!

Then there was the compilation of Rabbi Eli Mansour’s Daily Halacha:

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781422608999.html

The book is a favorite at the YU Seforim sale.

For those unfamiliar with the Mansour HASHKOFEH, here is a roadmap:

https://groups.google.com/g/davidshasha/c/VZwzo4IMb4Q/m/wGvcW4KrAgAJ

In 2019 ArtScroll published a series of Sephardic prayerbooks with the usual Lakewood values:

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781422623190.html

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781422625408.html

This week the publisher announced two new titles for the Haredi SYs.

There is a Pizmonim book for use at all your happy occasions:

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781422628447.html

And a Heimische cookbook for all your Kibbe and Samboosak needs:

https://www.ArtScroll.com/Books/9781422628430.html

For those who continue to be deluded about the YU ownership of the Brooklyn SYs, think again.

And for those who have not read my article “The New Sephardic Jewish Binary,” it explains the whole mess:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EyglybEAkHmQ35sIU6XubsU92mLCM1FGO90ENj_NE-w/edit

Indeed, the SY community will take anything not Sephardic!

David Shasha