Heyei Im Pifiyot

Mark Symons

Aug 3, 2015, 10:02:40 PM8/3/15
to Davening Discussions
The tefilla in RH & YK Musaf: "Heyei Im pifiyot sh'luchei am'cha beit
yisrael", that precedes the "core" of the repetition of the Amida, is a
prayer that the shlichei tzibur be successful in their missions. It seems
to me that it would be much more appropriate to be recited by the kahal
than by the chazan. The references to the shlichei tzibur being in the 3rd
person would seem to support this. It is complementary to Hinneni He'ani in
which the chazan refers to himself in the first person and the kahal in the
3rd person, as well as to Ochila La'El which immediately follows it. I
wonder if there are any traditions where the  kahal does recite it or
something similar rather than the chazan.

Mark Symons

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Aug 5, 2015, 3:45:16 PM8/5/15
to Davening Discussions
I never understood this prayer. What is meant by horeim ma sheyomeiru, or yad'eim heich y'foeiru? What Divine assistance do they need in these tasks? They are after all not composing their own prayers; they are reciting a prepared text from the Machzor. What Divine instruction do they need, beyond reading the words properly as written?

GEK

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon

Aug 5, 2015, 3:48:25 PM8/5/15
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
Likely dates to the day before publishing or even widespread manuscripts. Thus, it was easy for them to miss speak, and, as in the Mishnah in brachos, misspeaking would be taking to be rather bad.

Zev Sero

Aug 5, 2015, 4:15:16 PM8/5/15
On 08/05/2015 03:45 PM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:
> I never understood this prayer. What is meant by horeim ma
> sheyomeiru, or yad'eim heich y'foeiru? What Divine assistance do they
> need in these tasks? They are after all not composing their own
> prayers; they are reciting a prepared text from the Machzor. What
> Divine instruction do they need, beyond reading the words properly as
> written?

It obviously dates from when chazanim were expected to compose their own
tefilos. In other words, before printing froze the machzor.

--
Zev Sero I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
z...@sero.name intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Aug 6, 2015, 10:04:33 AM8/6/15
to Davening Discussions
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 4:15:16 PM UTC-4, Zev Sero wrote:
On 08/05/2015 03:45 PM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:
> I never understood this prayer. What is meant by horeim ma
> sheyomeiru, or yad'eim heich y'foeiru? What Divine assistance do they
> need in these tasks? They are after all not composing their own
> prayers; they are reciting a prepared text from the Machzor. What
> Divine instruction do they need, beyond reading the words properly as
> written?

It obviously dates from when chazanim  were expected to compose their own
tefilos.   In other words, before printing froze the machzor.

If this be so, how did this prayer become uniform in (nearly) all machzorim? Who composed it? Most of the payutim are from the Kalirian era. Where are all the t'filos composed by the individual chazonim recorded?

GEK

Zev Sero

Aug 6, 2015, 10:15:31 AM8/6/15
On 08/06/2015 10:04 AM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:
> If this be so, how did this prayer become uniform in (nearly) all
> machzorim? Who composed it?

Who composed Hineni? Who composed any of the tefilos? Some chazan
did, and a printer picked it up, and other printers copied it.

> Most of the payutim are from the Kalirian era.

No, they're not. Most of the ones in the RH/YK machzor seem to be
medieval.

> Where are all the t'filos composed by the individual chazonim
> recorded?

The few that made it into the printed machzorim became popular,
and once printing started people expected chazanim to stick to
the ones in the machzor so they stopped making up new ones.