Vidduy/Middot Placement in Selichot/Tachanun

Mark Symons

Sep 8, 2015, 9:53:18 PM9/8/15
to Davening Discussions, ashertug, Yakir Hameiri
In Selichot, the Vidduy follows the (many) recitations of the 13 Midot - which makes intuitive sense (ie we first establish/acknowledge that Gd is merciful and forgiving sin, therefore it is appropriate to confess our sins to Him, which we then proceed to do).

Whereas in the daily Tachanun, in the Nusach that includes Vidduy and the 13 Middot, the order is reversed, with the Vidduy preceding the 13 Middot. Why?

Ketiva VaChatima to all
Mark S

Mark Symons

Sep 8, 2015, 9:55:20 PM9/8/15
to Davening Discussions, ashertug, Yakir Hameiri
... Sorry - I left out Tovah (or should it be be Tovot?) after Ketiva VaChatima!
MSS

Mark Symons

Sep 9, 2015, 2:31:08 AM9/9/15
to Davening Discussions, ashertug, Yakir Hameiri
I also put the question on the facebook group "Seek and You Shall Find" and received an answer: In Sephardi Selichot, Viduy also precedes the Midot - "we can front up as we are - exposing all our flaws- and Hashem's love for us is unfailing"

MSS

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Sep 9, 2015, 12:14:11 PM9/9/15
to Davening Discussions, ashe...@optusnet.com.au, yak...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 2:31:08 AM UTC-4, Mark wrote:
I also put the question on the facebook group "Seek and You Shall Find" and received an answer: In Sephardi Selichot, Viduy also precedes the Midot - "we can front up as we are - exposing all our flaws- and Hashem's love for us is unfailing"

 "Seek and You Shall Find" is a quote from the Christian New Testicle. Why is such an abomination being used as the title of a Jewish blog?

GEK

AMK Judaica

Sep 9, 2015, 12:47:26 PM9/9/15
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
gek,

similar phrase appears a few times in tanach
and is the title of a marvin gaye song

**********
Ari Kinsberg
MA, PharmD, RPh, Certified Immunizer
Brooklyn, New York

**************
Click here to register as a bone marrow donor. Save a life.

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 09:14:10 -0700
From: kepip...@hotmail.com
To: davening-d...@googlegroups.com
CC: ashe...@optusnet.com.au; yak...@gmail.com
Subject: [davening] Re: Vidduy/Middot Placement in Selichot/Tachanun

Zev Sero

Sep 9, 2015, 1:28:47 PM9/9/15
On 09/09/2015 12:14 PM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:

> "Seek and You Shall Find" is a quote from the Christian New Testicle.
> Why is such an abomination being used as the title of a Jewish blog?

It's close enough to both "dirshu Hashem behimotz'o" and "yaga`to
umotzoso".

--
Zev Sero I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
z...@sero.name intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in

Zev Sero

Sep 9, 2015, 1:28:56 PM9/9/15
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
On 09/09/2015 12:14 PM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:

> "Seek and You Shall Find" is a quote from the Christian New Testicle.
> Why is such an abomination being used as the title of a Jewish blog?

It's close enough to both "dirshu Hashem behimotz'o" and "yoga`to