Kiddush Levono B'yochid

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Nov 8, 2016, 10:30:10 AM11/8/16
to Davening Discussions
Apology to those who already saw this post in the Leining group, where I posted it by mistake.

On occasion when reciting Kiddush levono b'yochid, with no people around to respond aleichem sholom, what do our members do with regard to SA/AS? I was unable to find instructions in the law compendia for such situation, so I make informal inquiry here as to what others do.

GEK
whishing good chodesh to all.

MP

Nov 8, 2016, 8:24:12 PM11/8/16
to Davening List
On occasion when reciting Kiddush levono b'yochid, with no people around to
respond aleichem sholom, what do our members do with regard to SA/AS? I was
unable to find instructions in the law compendia for such situation, so I
make informal inquiry here as to what others do.

GEK
whishing good chodesh to all. <
Biychidus, I stop after "David Melech Yisrael chai v'qayam"; I would posit that one could stop immediately after making the b'rachah.  (Last night, another member of the Ma'ariv minyan, who had stepped outside the shtiebel door while I was in the midst of the b'rachah, was there to receive my SA 3x; and I then waited for him to make the b'rachah and get to that part of the seider in order to respond AS 3x :).  Side point: minhag hamaqom in Elizabeth, NJ is to wait 'til 7 full days after the molad before making the b'rachah, so as per Rav EMTeitz's directive two nights ago, I didn't make the b'rachah that [Sunday] night.)

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Isaac Friedman

Nov 9, 2016, 10:29:03 AM11/9/16
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
When I say it b'yochid, I usually only say the brocha but I heard from Rabbi Carmy that Rav Soloveichik would say the whole thing including saying sholom aleichem to himself and responding.

Akiva Blum

Nov 10, 2016, 9:16:10 AM11/10/16
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
I presume someone asked him and that's what he told them.
Otherwise, how would anyone know?

Mark Symons

Nov 10, 2016, 3:43:58 PM11/10/16
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes. A classic instance of how the presence of an observer would change the outcome!