Nuts During AYT

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Sep 10, 2015, 9:57:17 AM9/10/15
to Davening Discussions
Questions regarding the minhag to refrain from eating nuts during AYT:
1) do we refrain from any specific variety of nut, or is it all nuts in general?
2) do we refrain from eating nuts in their native state, or does this include ground nuts baked into cakes or cookies?
Many thanks for information.
GEK
whishing good writing and sealing for all

Zev Sero

Sep 10, 2015, 1:49:47 PM9/10/15
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
On 09/10/2015 09:57 AM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:
> Questions regarding the minhag to refrain from eating nuts during AYT:

I've never heard of this during AYT, but only on RH.

> 1) do we refrain from any specific variety of nut, or is it all nuts
> in general?
> 2) do we refrain from eating nuts in their native state, or does this
> include ground nuts baked into cakes or cookies?

This would depend on the reason. If it's the gematria then it would
apply only to "egozim", which I believe are walnuts, but would perhaps
apply to them even in other forms. But if it's because they cause
the production of excess saliva then it would apply to all the various
kinds of hard seeds that we call nuts, but only in their natural form.

Speaking of which, the minhag not to eat vinegar on RH has been extended
in the popular mind to anything that is not sweet, but I don't believe
that is correct. The reason to avoid vinegar is that it is a siman
kelala, because it's wine that has gone off. Indeed there's a sevara
not to say a bracha on it at all, because one shouldn't thank Hashem
for a curse. But foods that are naturally sour or sharp, and were never
supposed to taste any other way, are not simanei kelala, so there's no
reason not to eat them on RH.

--
Zev Sero I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
z...@sero.name intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in