V'Lomar Bar'chu

Mark Symons

Aug 23, 2015, 6:11:55 AM8/23/15
to Davening Discussions
In nusach s'farad on Friday night: Some  siddurim say to add V'Lomar between K'gavna and Bar'chu only when davening b'yachid, which I can understand. But  some siddurim say to say it even when davening with a minyan - which is the practice at one of the shules I daven at. What is the rationale for this?

Mark Symons

Zev Sero

Aug 23, 2015, 7:08:57 AM8/23/15
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
On 08/23/2015 06:11 AM, Mark Symons wrote:
> In nusach s'farad on Friday night: Some siddurim say to add V'Lomar
> between K'gavna and Bar'chu only when davening b'yachid, which I can
> understand. But some siddurim say to say it even when davening with
> a minyan - which is the practice at one of the shules I daven at.

The whole piece, or just the word "velomar"?

Either way, I can suggest a rationale. If they're just saying the
word "velomar", then the whole Kegavna can be considered a sort of
introduction to Borechu, just like the introductory bits we add
before the pieces of the kedusha, and before Hashem Yimloch and
Go'alenu, or like the Italian introduction to Bar'chu: "Kedoshei
Kel tenu shevach vetodah, uvar'chu et Hashem Hamevorach".

If they're saying the whole piece, even with a minyan, perhaps
they're doing so because it explains the deeper meaning of what
we're about to say, so that we will bear that explanation in mind
when we say it.

Of course beyachid the reason for learning the piece is as a
substitute for the Bar'chu that can't be said, just as some people,
if they've missed the last time for kidush levana, will go outside
anyway and learn the gemara about it, which includes the text of
the bracha.

--
Zev Sero I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
z...@sero.name intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in