B'soros

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Apr 4, 2016, 5:28:21 PM4/4/16
to Davening Discussions
Whilst most people mistakenly use the phrase b'sooros tovos, the correct vowelisation appears to be b'soros tovos (seen has a cholom, not a shooruk). As in the hoRachamons of birkas hamozon, and as in Sh'mueil Beis 4:10; 18: 20, 22, 25, & 27; M'lochim Beis 7:9. So why is this word different from g'vooros, which has a shooruk, as in 2nd paragraph of T'fillas Geshem, "mazkirim g'vooros haggeshem", or T'hillim 106:2 Mi y'malleil g'vooros Adonoi, or the many instances of g'vooro, oogvooro, bigvooro, etc in Tanach? Or T'hillim 76:5 ochazti sh'mooros einai?

GEK
whishing good chodesh and kasher & joyful Pesach to all

Zev Sero

Apr 4, 2016, 6:32:43 PM4/4/16
to davening-d...@googlegroups.com
On 04/04/2016 05:28 PM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:
> Whilst most people mistakenly use the phrase b'sooros tovos, the correct vowelisation appears to be b'soros tovos (seen has a cholom, not a shooruk). As in the hoRachamons of birkas hamozon, and as in Sh'mueil Beis 4:10; 18: 20, 22, 25, & 27; M'lochim Beis 7:9. So why is this word different from g'vooros, which has a shooruk, as in 2nd paragraph of T'fillas Geshem, "mazkirim g'vooros haggeshem", or T'hillim 106:2 Mi y'malleil g'vooros Adonoi, or the many instances of g'vooro, oogvooro, bigvooro, etc in Tanach? Or T'hillim 76:5 ochazti sh'mooros einai?

I don't understand the question. The plural of gevurah is gevuros,
the plural of besorah is besoros. Why would you expect it to be anything
else?

--
Zev Sero All around myself I will wave the green willow
z...@sero.name The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week

Giorgies E. Kepipesiom

Apr 5, 2016, 8:48:12 AM4/5/16
to Davening Discussions
On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 6:32:43 PM UTC-4, Zev Sero wrote:

> I don't understand the question.   The plural of gevurah is gevuros,
> the plural of besorah is besoros.  Why would you expect it to be
> anything else?

My question is not about the forms of the plurals, but on the forms of the words themselves. Two words one would expect to see in the same form have different forms. If we have g'vooro/g'vooros, oughtn't we expect it to be b'sooro/b'sooros?

GEK

Zev Sero

Apr 5, 2016, 12:29:57 PM4/5/16
On 04/05/2016 08:48 AM, Giorgies E. Kepipesiom wrote:

> My question is not about the forms of the plurals, but on the forms
> of the words themselves. Two words one would expect to see in the
> same form have different forms. If we have g'vooro/g'vooros, oughtn't
> we expect it to be b'sooro/b'sooros?

Why? Why should two unrelated nouns have the same vowels? Why should
besorah be patterned after gevurah or hamulah rather than after devorah
or zemorah?