gmail scam virus alert?

Donna Shelley

Oct 4, 2023, 6:19:21 AM10/4/23
to DuPage Apple User Group
Just started getting these alerts about gmail.  See pic.  Are they for real or a virus scam type thing?
What should I do ?   They pop up every few minutes.
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 5.17.01 AM.png

Donna Shelley

Oct 4, 2023, 6:50:06 AM10/4/23
to DuPage Apple User Group

JUST got a couple more in the last half hour or so.
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 5.46.56 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 5.47.22 AM.png

Landoverap

Oct 4, 2023, 6:03:31 PM10/4/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Run your Malwarebytes, Donna, and see if it finds anything and if okay, ignore. These are showing up in Mail? Safari? Where?
Phil

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/7dca2a86-198e-46d6-b184-3dcd7e7d3e9cn%40googlegroups.com
.

Donna Shelley

Oct 5, 2023, 4:05:47 PM10/5/23
to DuPage Apple User Group
I did run thru Malwarebytes....nothing detected.  But a students mom emailed me a Chinese song played at her moms funeral to figure out.  That was Tuesday.  I just got the email today oddly enough.  But then still on Tuesday she tried WhatsApp and I got the file after I downloaded WhatsApp.
It was after that that I started seeing "Notifications" that popped up on the upper right corner of my desktop.  As you see they looked like the grey  "system" notifications.   I did go into Safari prefs and clicked "deny" on the three types of system notifications so that they wouldn't pop up again.
I don't remember that those particular "system" looking things were in the list under Websites/Notifications/alerts.  See pic attached.
What are your thoughts.   Oh, I did go on the AppStore and got Virus Barrier Scanner.  It was free and seemed like a good one to try.

Websites:Notifications:alerts.png

Landoverap

Oct 5, 2023, 10:33:49 PM10/5/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what else to suggest, Donna. I'm out of town for a week and things aren't all working right here... Maybe someone else will have something to offer...

Jim Rietz

Oct 12, 2023, 6:53:43 PM10/12/23
to DAUG Rietz
I recently ran across the same issue.

Got to Settings (System Preferences) / Notifications and look for the Settings logo and Select them and then Remove the items:

Websites:Notifications:alerts.png