New printers

MARILYN PERETTI

Jan 29, 2023, 10:27:17 PM1/29/23
to DAUG Apple Users
Hello friends,
I have wrestled long enough with this Epson XP440. It sends paper through now, but there is nothing on the paper. Cleaned the printhead many times. Put in new ink cartridges. I spent an hour on the phone with an Epson person whose excellent Hindi interferes with his English, and I finally hung up.

Question: what simple printer can you recommend for home use? I need to buy a new one. I don’t do much driving or walking. Maybe at Staples? Or online? Modest price. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Right now I must send files to a nearby print shop, or the library, to be printed; then go pick up. Just had pneumonia so not eager to get out in this bitter cold. Might wait for a couple more weeks.
Thanks,
Marilyn

Sent from the Artist’s iPad

Landoverap

Jan 29, 2023, 10:45:09 PM1/29/23
to da...@googlegroups.com

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

Jim Rietz

Jan 31, 2023, 8:58:49 AM1/31/23
to DAUG Rietz
Hi Marilyn,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your printer. I will suggest cleaning at least 10 times. You may find a Power Clean in the menu, although that may be on the newer ones.

I am recommending either a Laser printer which does not have this kind of problem or the Epson Eco System printer. You should find Monochrome Laser printers in the neighborhood of a bit over $100. A color laser may start around $300 or so. You can use refilled toner cartridges without any problems.

The Epson Eco printers come with bottles of ink and they do have the power cleaning. The printer comes with 2 years of ink and a set of new bottles is about $50 or so and is about 2 more years of printing.

Hope this helps.

Jim

MARILYN PERETTI

Jan 31, 2023, 9:33:37 AM1/31/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much, Jim, for the good tips. I appreciate your expertise!! I’ve cleaned the print heads many more than 10 times! I’ve had it quite a while, so probably need to move on. When we get out of this deep freeze I can do some shopping. Or else I will shop online.
THANKS!
Marilyn

Sent from the Artist’s iPad

> On Jan 31, 2023, at 7:58 AM, Jim Rietz <jri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Marilyn,
> --
> --
>
> You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG
>
> Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/C679EB61-2086-40CF-8991-6B9185DBC31D%40gmail.com.

Robert Hempel

Jan 31, 2023, 11:37:36 AM1/31/23
to da...@googlegroups.com

I found a HP Office Jet Pro 8020 at Costco in North Riverside that works quite well. —Bob Hempel

> On Jan 29, 2023, at 9:27 PM, 'MARILYN PERETTI' via DuPage Apple User Group <da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hello friends,
> --
> --
>
> You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG
>
> Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/7622E352-2B79-487A-AAC2-2431EC21A238%40yahoo.com.

Landoverap

Jan 31, 2023, 2:40:25 PM1/31/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
All inkjet printers work well out of the box, it is down the road of occasional use that they begin to clog up and give you trouble...
Phil

I found a HP Office Jet Pro 8020 at Costco in North Riverside that works quite well. —Bob Hempel

> On Jan 29, 2023, at 9:27 PM, 'MARILYN PERETTI' via DuPage Apple User Group <da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hello friends,
> I have wrestled long enough with this Epson  XP440. It sends paper through now, but there is nothing on the paper. Cleaned the printhead many times. Put in new ink cartridges. I spent an hour on the phone with an Epson person whose excellent Hindi interferes with his English, and I finally hung up.
>
> Question: what simple printer can you recommend for home use? I need to buy a new one. I don’t do much driving or walking. Maybe at Staples? Or online? Modest price. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions.
>
> Right now I must send files to a nearby print shop, or the library, to be printed; then go pick up. Just had pneumonia so not eager to get out in this bitter cold. Might wait for a couple more weeks.
> Thanks,
> Marilyn
>
> Sent from the Artist’s iPad
>
> --
> --
>
> You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG
>
> Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/4006AD66-0E22-4196-B776-152D4408D064%40icloud.com.

Marilyn Peretti

Jan 31, 2023, 3:43:56 PM1/31/23
to 'Landoverap' via DuPage Apple User Group
Hi Phil,
I can't  tell if this is a positive comment or a negative comment! This ink-jet printer is quite old now. I see they should last 3-5 years, and mine is most likely well over that. I guess I'll walk into Staples and just get another one, or a comparable one. I do like access to color, but don't want to spend $300 if I can avoid it.
Thanks for your response,
Marilyn

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/1207200314.1561550.1675194018690%40mail.yahoo.com.

Marilyn Peretti

Jan 31, 2023, 3:46:33 PM1/31/23
to 'Robert Hempel' via DuPage Apple User Group
Thanks Bob,
I appreciate your suggestion here. I will consider this model. Once the deep freeze lets up (I had pneumonia recently) I will get out to see what I can find.
Thank you for this idea!!
Marilyn

On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 10:37:36 AM CST, 'Robert Hempel' via DuPage Apple User Group <da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I found a HP Office Jet Pro 8020 at Costco in North Riverside that works quite well. —Bob Hempel

> On Jan 29, 2023, at 9:27 PM, 'MARILYN PERETTI' via DuPage Apple User Group <da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hello friends,
> I have wrestled long enough with this Epson  XP440. It sends paper through now, but there is nothing on the paper. Cleaned the printhead many times. Put in new ink cartridges. I spent an hour on the phone with an Epson person whose excellent Hindi interferes with his English, and I finally hung up.
>
> Question: what simple printer can you recommend for home use? I need to buy a new one. I don’t do much driving or walking. Maybe at Staples? Or online? Modest price. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions.
>
> Right now I must send files to a nearby print shop, or the library, to be printed; then go pick up. Just had pneumonia so not eager to get out in this bitter cold. Might wait for a couple more weeks.
> Thanks,
> Marilyn
>
> Sent from the Artist’s iPad
>
> --
> --
>
> You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG
>
> Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

Jim Rietz

Jan 31, 2023, 9:20:10 PM1/31/23
to DAUG Rietz
You do need to consider the cost of ink cartridges. A set can be more the $60. That is why I prefer the Eco system of Bottle ink which last 2 years or so.

Jim

Marilyn Peretti

Jan 31, 2023, 9:29:24 PM1/31/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
Oh yes, I do know that ink cartridges are expensive. Been doing that for quite a few years. Now considering to revive my old laser printer here, at Phil's suggestion. I happen to have an unopened box of toner, which he tells me DOES NOT DRY OUT!!! Whoopee. I can't lift the printer, etc., so asking a son to come by this weekend and see if we can help me revive it. I can send color files to a nearby print shop (have been doing that for a few months) or the library - - just found out that they too will print files I send there, for .10 each. Pretty nice.

Right now it is so bitter cold out that I don't want to deal with either off-site place.
Marilyn

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

Jim Rietz

Feb 1, 2023, 7:09:38 AM2/1/23
to DAUG Rietz
Yes! Laser printers us Toner, a powder, which is heated to bond to the paper. It is much more permanent than ink, which some are water soluble.

Good luck with your Laser!

Jim

MARILYN PERETTI

Feb 1, 2023, 10:12:24 PM2/1/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Bob H,
How long have you had this HP printer! Is it “wireless”? If so, does that mean it runs with a battery? Is that a good thing?

I ask, because Staples (which is near me) has several HP printers, but not that identical model number. Probably very similar. A range of prices too.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Sent from the Artist’s iPad

> On Jan 31, 2023, at 10:37 AM, 'Robert Hempel' via DuPage Apple User Group <da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/4006AD66-0E22-4196-B776-152D4408D064%40icloud.com.

MARILYN PERETTI

Feb 1, 2023, 10:16:54 PM2/1/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
No decision yet, Jim! But working toward it.
Marilyn

Sent from the Artist’s iPad