OLD CD Burns do not open in newer OS's

Donna Shelley

Nov 5, 2023, 2:16:20 PM11/5/23
to DuPage Apple User Group
Ok, this is a goodie.  You know how we all archive our precious "stuff" ( all my music files) on CD's for safe keeping and rest assured that we did a good thing and everything is safe???  Well, I was dismayed to find out that my M1 Monterey and M2 Ventura mini macs would not recognize any of my old "saved" CDs.   Yes, I was stunned.  I don't know if it was the system OS or the series of Mac (M1, M2) that caused this.
I kinda just sat there staring dumbly at the monitor message.  I mean since when won't an Apple computer open a simple CD.?  I didn't panic tho as I have other mac mini's of the older flavors...High Sierra and Snow Leopard.  So I went to them to open up my CDs and thank the Lord in heaven they opened without a problem.
Now my mac mini's don't have a burner inside them...I use an external Optiarc burner via USB and it works like a charm, I love it.
But know this...hang on to older macs themselves as you never know down the road that all of a sudden you won't be able to access any of your saved goodies with new OS's or the new model of mac.  Don't get caught unawares.  Or I should say don't get caught in your underwear.  LOL.  Omg.  Lesson learned almost the hard way.

Landoverap

Nov 5, 2023, 8:39:28 PM11/5/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
I trust you have searched on this topic, Donna, and found that you are not alone and that a number of folks have found similar problems... I would guess that is small consolation.
Phil

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/257037a9-d7ee-4738-bf27-e9547c30ff44n%40googlegroups.com.