More problems....

1 view

Mary Bart

Aug 24, 2023, 11:57:25 AM8/24/23
to DAUG
Hi,
I tried switching my browser from Safari to OPERA after our DAUG meeting Monday night. It seems to be beyond my brain capabilities. I AM able to switch to Firefox - that seems to have a number of my regular sites, and I THINK it doesn’t have the “virus”problems Safari was giving me. I THINK it has transferred my stuff from Safari to Firefox, and I hope the bad stuff didn’t get transferred over. What do you think? Is there a way I can GET RID of the bad stuff that was in Safari??(I might have a few ideas as to what the problem app was….)
I have been afraid to USE the computer, since I could not figure out OPERA, but since FIREWFOX seems to work, is that OK to use?
And in another problem, my iPhone SE might be on its last legs - I don’t need a real advanced iPhone, b=so how do I go about getting a new one that is NOT the latest model with all the bells and whistles? Would an iPhone 14 be a good one to go to? Or is there a lower one, not as expensive as a current one, that is compatible with the newest iOS?
These things are makin’ me CRAZY. If I wasn’t so frikkin’ DEPENDENT on my last top and cell phone, I could maybe give them up and go back to normal”……maybe.
Thanks.
Mary

--------
Here’s my previous email with the problem we talked about on Monday at DAUG.

I have started receiving multiple messages about Safari being infected, viruses being found on my computer, McCaffee PC at risk (I don’t have McCaffee, never have.) Mac Firewall risks - they all LOOK legit, and have my Settings logo up in the upper right hand corner of my MacBook Pro, 16” 2019. I do not click on those things, I HAVE run Malware several times they say no problems. But what the heck is going on? Are they all spams?Or are any o[f them legitimate? Two examples below.
Any words of advice?
Thanks.
MaryBart

PastedGraphic-1.png
PastedGraphic-2.png

Landoverap

Aug 24, 2023, 12:37:45 PM8/24/23
to da...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Mary, I've been trying Opera since the meeting too, with success accessing sites like the bank that Safari stopped working with my old High Sierra system sometime in the last year. I haven't figured out all the Opera issues yet but during the install it asked where to bring things over from and I just checked - it only brought the bookmarks from the bookmark bar and not all the others... so I just now went to the Opera > Import bookmarks and settings menu and followed the instructions and the rest of the bookmarks came across. I'm still adjusting to some of the navigation differences but I'm getting there. We'll see with time. It did not transfer my passwords - I am having to enter them before they get saved in Opera...
I'm not sure what is going on with your SE but I just a couple of months ago put a new higher capacity battery in mine and really like the way it is working. I don't charge it as often and it is working from 100% to less than 20% charge smoothly and longer. I used to charge it every time I was close to a charger and that may not have been the best thing for the battery. Toward the end it would sometimes, but not always, collapse at about 50% and drop to zero and require recharging. As long as it was above 50% it seemed okay. If you want to try a new battery in your SE let me know. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G1H4CDH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details I have no idea about the newer phones but I'm pretty sure they are all larger than my SE and I definitely like the smaller form factor.
Let me know if you have any questions. Say hi to Lex for me.
Phil

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.

You can also follow us via Twitter at DuPageAUG

Participation in this email list is free. Membership in DAUG is also free as of 1/1/2016.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DuPage Apple User Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/daug/8AAF91A5-6AB8-4CBF-A43E-DCCCE3278ED2%40sbcglobal.net.

Mary Bart

Aug 24, 2023, 9:24:36 PM8/24/23
to DAUG
More on the problem -

I’m back, I called 1-800-MYAPPLE about this problem, and the guy walked me through a very simple cure - he had me go to Settings (in Safari) on my laptop, go to Notifications, and there is a list of sites I could delete or keep. I deleted some. He had me check the time-date in the upper right hand corner of my laptop screen (I THINK that was it) and it pulled up the Settings icon with no red mark in it again. He says the problem is solved. So far, it works - I am so relieved! I could not get into OPERA, it would have been a huge task to transfer my bookmarks to OPERA. The guy said it doesn’t matter WHAT browser I use, that they would ALL get ”infected” with the same stuff.
What’s your collective opinion?
Thanks again.
MaryBart
> <PastedGraphic-1.png><PastedGraphic-2.png>

Landoverap

Mary Bart

Aug 29, 2023, 8:37:45 AM8/29/23
to DAUG
More on the problem -

I’m back, I called 1-800-MYAPPLE about this problem, and the guy walked me through a very simple cure - he had me go to Settings (in Safari) on my laptop, go to Notifications, and there is a list of sites I could delete or keep. I deleted some. He had m check the time-date in the upper right hand corner of my laptop screen (I THINK that was it) and it pulled up the Settings icon with no red mark in it again. He says the problem is solved. So far, it works - I am so relieved!  I could not get into OPERA, it would have been a huge task to transfer my bookmarks to OPERA. The guy said it doesn’t matter WHAT browser I use, that they would ALL get ”infected” with the same stuff.

Jim Rietz

Aug 29, 2023, 9:13:14 AM8/29/23
to DAUG Rietz
Hi Mary,

I'm concerned about what the "guy" said. None of your browsers will be getting infected. The problem is the web site pages you are going to.

The last picture you sent was pretty small, but looked like a webmail page. Webmail has ads which can be causing the problem. If that was a webmail page, I will strongly suggest moving to Apple's Mail application which does not have ads around the window. You may get ads in email messages, but those would be the same regardless of how you are viewing your mail. There is an option in Mail to not load remote content (or images) as those can cause issues.

Good luck.

Jim