gofmt for Java

Philip Durbin

Oct 19, 2016, 10:17:35 AM10/19/16
to datave...@googlegroups.com
After playing around with Go a bit I'm fairly convinced that I'd like to find a `gofmt` for Java and beg every Dataverse contributor to use it.

If you're unfamiliar with gofmt, https://blog.golang.org/go-fmt-your-code provides a nice overview of why you would want to programmatically format all the code in a project using a tool that is not tied to any IDE:

- easier to write: never worry about minor formatting concerns while hacking away,
- easier to read: when all code looks the same you need not mentally convert others' formatting style into something you can understand.
- easier to maintain: mechanical changes to the source don't cause unrelated changes to the file's formatting; diffs show only the real changes.
- uncontroversial: never have a debate about spacing or brace position ever again!

The first step is to find a gofmt for Java. At http://irclog.greptilian.com/friendlyjava/2016-10-19 a tool called formatter-maven-plugin was suggested: https://github.com/revelc/formatter-maven-plugin

Is there a different command-line tool you would prefer? Please let me know! Thanks!

Happy hacking!

Phil

p.s. This very strongly relates to the Google Doc linked from http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.5.1/developers/coding-style.html . It's called "Dataverse Coding Standards and Style Guide" and here's a handy link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTd3FpM1BI3HlBofaZjMmBiQEJtFf11jiiGpQeJzy7A/edit?usp=sharing . The conversation initially started at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/775

bill mckinney

Oct 19, 2016, 11:12:35 AM10/19/16
to Dataverse Dev, philip...@harvard.edu
Another approach is to create a shared Eclipse style formatter XML file which can also be imported into both NetBeans and IntelliJ. Here's an example of one that conforms to Google's style: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/google/styleguide/gh-pages/eclipse-java-google-style.xml

--Bill

Philip Durbin

Oct 19, 2016, 12:13:05 PM10/19/16
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Bill, I *love* the idea (thanks!) but it looks like it doesn't work with Netbeans: Add Java style for Netbeans - https://github.com/google/styleguide/issues/56

Michael, you probably know more about Netbeans than any of us. Do you think you could get Bill's suggestion to work? I also asked in #netbeans: https://javabot.evanchooly.com/logs/%23netbeans/2016-10-19#58079b580a975a76c126c486

Philip Durbin

Oct 21, 2016, 4:20:54 PM10/21/16
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Geertjan Wielenga, the product manager of Netbeans, got back to me and suggested that http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/50877/eclipse-code-formatter-for-java-eclipse-mars-4-5 might be a way to use the file Bill mentioned ( https://raw.githubusercontent.com/google/styleguide/gh-pages/eclipse-java-google-style.xml ) in Netbeans.

I also created this issue to document whatever we decide in the dev guide: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3418

Comments and suggestions on that issue and more discussion on this list are certainly welcome!

Philip Durbin

Sep 27, 2018, 12:12:49 PM9/27/18
to datave...@googlegroups.com
In https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/5106 I'm suggesting that we start using Checkstyle based on some config offered by contributor Oliver Bertuch (poikilotherm on GitHub and IRC). Please take a look.

Thanks!

Phil

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-dev/3480a3fc-6d55-48b9-ad88-d721e1b9b371%40googlegroups.com.