Unexpected display of metadata fields when creating dataset

Thierry Guilloteau

Jun 2, 2022, 2:51:48 AM6/2/22
to Dataverse Dev
Hi all

 In order to implement some modifications regarding the display of metadatablocks, such as 'Producer' and 'Project' when creating a dataset, we have made some modifications on the citation.tsv file by assigning the value 'true' to metadata 'displayoncreate' for :
  • producer, producerAffiliation, producerName
  • project, projectAcronym, projectTitle
The purpose of this modification was to display these metadata fields from the creation of a new dataset.
The result, however, was somewhat different from the expectations : Basically, the whole metadata blocks are displayed, even though their fields have not been selected : I mean 'displayoncreate's value for these fields (producerLogoURL producerURL, producerAbbreviation and projectId, projectTask, projectURL, projectWorkPackage) is set to 'false'.

Some analyses have been conducted as far as Dataverse Java code is concerned.
In all versions between 5.3 (our implemented version of Dataverse) and 5.10.1, it seems that the way metadata are displayed is set at metadatablock level, instead of field level.

Trying to properly choose which metadata field is to be displayed, is there any possibility or ways to discriminate these fields ?

Best Regards

Thierry

Philip Durbin

Jun 3, 2022, 11:19:23 AM6/3/22
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thierry,

I just replied on the issue you opened: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/8756

Thanks for including screenshots!

Phil

GUILLOTEAU Thierry

Jun 8, 2022, 2:18:51 AM6/8/22
to datave...@googlegroups.com, rdg...@groupes.renater.fr
Hi Phil

Thanks so much for your reply.
I think I know have a better overview about what is going on as far as citation.tsv is concerned.
Basically, we understand that no metadatablock should be added through citation.tsv, we should work with a custom citation.tsv file as soon as we want to implement some changes (additionnal fields in our case)  with metadata.
We'll follow this pattern for further metadata modifications, and will test the solution for our 'project' metadatablocks as soon as possible, and let you know about results of our tests.

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards

Cordialement

Thierry  GUILLOTEAU