Swarming on Glassfish upgrade

Durand, Gustavo

Dec 11, 2019, 12:28:20 PM12/11/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As discussed over recent Community Calls, we are working towards upgrading Dataverse's app server from Glassfish 4.1 to a more modern app server. Glassfish 4.1 has served us very well, but as we move towards DataTags and sensitive data, it is imperative that we transition to a server that receives regular security updates. Plus we'll be better positioned to use the latest features of Java SE and EE!

In github, we have been tracking this in issue #6230.

The first step was to see how easy it was to migrate the app and deploy. For that purpose, our lead candidates are Glassfish 5 and Payara 5 (which is built on Glassfish). It turns out the steps to get this to work were fairly straightforward. However, as expected, after successful deployment, many things stopped working.

Step 2 was to get a more comprehensive view of what wasn't working. I have done that and been able to make some fixes for already. This is currently in the branch 6230-glassfish-upgrade.

The next step now is to swarm on the remaining issues. These are listed in a comment on that issue.

While the core team here at IQSS will be swarming to work on this, if any other community developers want to help participate, your involvement is more than welcome. In order to properly manage these changes, we request you follow the same procedure:

When a developer chooses to work on a particular problem, they should break it out into a separate issue (as I've done with #6447 and #6448) and assign themselves. It's ok for multiple people to try to investigate on the same problem, just make sure you're assigned so you can communicate effectively about progress. Once there's a proposed solution, make a PR to this branch (6230-glassfish-upgrade) and I can quickly review (I'd like to see things as they come in, in order to keep a comprehensive view of the types of solutions we are finding).

(If you are unable to assign yourself to an issue, please let me know and I can assign you, as needed)

One note: we prefer solutions to be generic, i.e not tied to any specific app server. In that way, while we will still likely only support one app server, others may experimentally choose to run Dataverse on other app servers. However, we are not as concerned at the time with backward compatibility to Glassfish 4. While it may be nice to have, we will eventually be using features that will definitely not work (i.e. Java EE8 features) and require upgrading to one of the modern app servers.

Thanks to Don at Odum, we are running an instance with the current state of the branch. The URL (this may change) for that instance is:
http://payara5.odum.unc.edu/  It will be built with the latest changes as commits get merged into this branch.

If you find a problem there that is not currently listed, please let me know and I can add to the list.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help anyone get started in any way.

Thanks,
Gustavo

Oliver Bertuch

Dec 12, 2019, 7:43:54 AM12/12/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com, Durand, Gustavo

Hi Gustavo,

glad to hear we start rolling with this big change! :-)

I'd be very happy to create Docker images within IQSS/dataverse-kubernetes. Just recently I found that those should be usable with docker-compose, too. (See https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-kubernetes/pull/119 for a PoC)

My idea so far is triggering nightly Jenkins builds of develop and branch 6230-glassfish-upgrade, pushing fresh images to Docker Hub.

I'll push those as tags iqss/dataverse-k8s:develop and iqss/dataverse-k8s:payara.

Are we on the same version of Payara? 5.194 has been released a few days ago and contains full Java 11 support.

Regards,
Oliver

Am 11.12.19 um 18:28 schrieb Durand, Gustavo:
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
Zentralbibliothek - Forschungsdatenmanagement
Oliver Bertuch
52425 Juelich
+49 2461 - 61 85 370
http://www.fz-juelich.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

Don Sizemore

Dec 12, 2019, 8:16:46 AM12/12/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com