founder of Payara wants to help Dataverse run on Payara

Philip Durbin

Oct 20, 2016, 9:11:01 AM10/20/16
to datave...@googlegroups.com
What do people think about this comment made yesterday by Steve Millidge, the founder of Payara?

"@pdurbin we are keen to help. I'm not sure whether the conclusion was the problem was in your code's use of @Context in a non-JAX-RS resource or a bug in Payara. We can work together to work out which if you need to?"

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2628#issuecomment-255049405 (Upgrade Glassfish to 4.1.1)

I think I'd be happy to leave Glassfish behind if we can get Dataverse to run on Payara. It drives me crazy that we make all of our users patch Weld and Grizzly. The Payara team has been extremely responsive to issues I've raised at https://github.com/payara/Payara/issues/created_by/pdurbin (1 open, 4 closed). Incidentally, they have a fantastic blog: http://blog.payara.fish

Phil

Philip Durbin

Nov 17, 2016, 10:13:28 PM11/17/16
to datave...@googlegroups.com

Philip Durbin

Jul 14, 2017, 8:21:36 AM7/14/17
to datave...@googlegroups.com
I'm warming this thread up because over at https://github.com/payara/Payara/issues/532#issuecomment-315334212 Arjan Tijms, Payara employee since of April* (congrats, Arjan!) the founder of OmniFaces (which we use in Dataverse) and https://zeef.com , asked us this:

">  using @context for injection in a non JAX-RS component such as a JSF managed bean

Not really sure how that could have worked, as the annotation has to be processed by the DI system, which in the case of the DataverseRequestServiceBean is a named request scoped bean, so CDI would process it and take care of the injection, but it obviously doesn't known about the @Context annotation.

A CDI extension may have been able to do some magic, so if there's indeed a CDI extension used for that, that may be a place to look at.

Additionally, CDI provides a build-in bean for HttpServletRequest, so you can @Inject the HttpServletRequest as well. Was there ever a specific reason to try to use @Context here for that?"

This question from Arjan is over my head, but if someone can please comment on that GitHub issue, it would be appreciated!

Phil

Philip Durbin

May 30, 2019, 4:29:56 PM5/30/19
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Now Steve Millidge is making pull requests!

Also, commented a couple times yesterday in this issue, starting here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2628#issuecomment-496858474

Phil

Philip Durbin

Mar 3, 2020, 8:47:41 AM3/3/20
to datave...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible that Steve Millidge is behind this tweet?!?

"Some great work being done at @dataverseorg!" https://twitter.com/Payara_Fish/status/1234766671044370432

I agree! Go, go, go! Swarm on https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6593 !