metadata key, value... web services?

August Muench

Feb 16, 2012, 10:10:52 AM2/16/12
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i hope that there might a broader discussion on one of the points some of us brought up in the DVN metadata meeting we had last fall.

i think the fall discussion included two ways to deal with controlled metadata values:  controlled vocabularies and web services.

with controlled vocab seemingly on the way with DVN 3, I was wondering if we could talk about web services.

my question is sourced in this very cool Open Definition Licenses Service from OKFN:  http://blog.okfn.org/2012/02/16/announcing-the-open-definition-licenses-service/

thoughts anyone?

 - Gus

Merce Crosas

Mar 1, 2012, 3:35:01 PM3/1/12
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Gus,

Sorry for the long delay replying to this. Yes, after the first step of adding controlled vocabularies to be used on Study Templates, we'll review the best way to support web services to get a list of values for a given field. Using a very simple web service similar to OKFN that returns the values in JSON format seems like a good idea.

I'd like to see also what type of web services Tim and Sudeshna had in mind, to make sure we support the biomedical taxonomies/ontologies that already exist.

Merce
--
Mercè Crosas, PhD
Director of Product Development

August Muench

Mar 2, 2012, 4:47:45 PM3/2/12
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Great. I am collecting static/fixed taxonomies, SKOS vocabularies and ontologies relevant to astronomy.  The OKFN licensing web service would be one of many options I could think of.  Author disambiguation services (non-descript) would be the other.

 - gus