Setting permissions for template edition without guestbook edition?

Thomas Jouneau

Sep 8, 2021, 9:26:52 AM9/8/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I'm trying to figure how to restrict users' rights to some aspects of
the dataverse collection edition. Case in point, I would like to allow
people at my research units, to add templates and do some basic branding
of their dataverse collections, without having access to the guestbook
activation or management.

As far as I understand, all these functionalities belong to the
"EditDataverse" permission. Is that right?

Is there a way to, either fine-tune the functionalities into the
EditDataverse permission, or maybe deactivate the guestbook
functionality altogether?

I hope I'm clear : please forgive any imprecision.

Best

Thomas

--
Thomas JOUNEAU
Université de Lorraine

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Sep 9, 2021, 10:54:15 AM9/9/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Thomas, I believe you're correct. These would all be covered by the same permission.

Can you explain more about why you wouldn't want the guestbook information available? Is it because of privacy laws/policies or some other reason? This may be an interesting use case to others in the community.

Thanks,

Danny

Thomas Jouneau

Sep 9, 2021, 11:27:43 AM9/9/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, danny...@g.harvard.edu

Hi Danny, thanks for this confirmation.

You're perfectly right : setting up a guestbook (in our setup, this would be at the initiative of the research lab corresponding to the dataverse collection) would also require that the strict, GPDR-compliant, privacy policy in place covers this constitution of a user list.

It's not impossible to do it and I guess that the guestbook could have its use, but for several reasons it's absolutely not a priority.

Among these reasons, is the fact that our repository is set to merge eventually into the future French national repo, and we don't want to have to manage the consequences of a different policy there.

OTOH, we would like our curators to be able to create templates, because it's a cool feature that can alleviate the most common objection to data publication : it takes time.

I wonder actually if the template management could not belong in the Curator role. Or, without having to change the permissions' structure, being able to deactivate the guestbooks would be neat.

Thanks

Thomas