Dataverse vs DSpace

Thalia U.M.

Jun 12, 2017, 2:12:17 PM6/12/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi every all, I would like to know the difference DSpace vs Dataverse?, to work with a repository.
Thanks for all.

Thalia U.M.

Jun 12, 2017, 3:41:57 PM6/12/17
to Dataverse Users Community
The repository is for data more than literature. I need your opinion
Thanks

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jun 12, 2017, 5:23:03 PM6/12/17
to Dataverse Users Community, courtne...@gmail.com, joerg....@gmail.com
Hi,

I've cc'ed two folks in the Dataverse community who I think have a lot of working knowledge about both DSpace and Dataverse. Hopefully they can join the thread. :)

It might also be helpful if you can post any immediate questions you have about Dataverse and DSpace, and we can help answer specific questions.

I haven't seen many substantive comparisons published that mention Dataverse and DSpace. This study analyzes data from r3data (here's the dataset), but that's focused more on repositories using the software and not on all capabilities of the software.

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jun 13, 2017, 1:41:22 PM6/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community, courtne...@gmail.com, joerg....@gmail.com
Forwarding more info. the poster sent me.

Jun 14, 2017, 4:11:12 AM6/14/17
to Dataverse Users Community, courtne...@gmail.com, joerg....@gmail.com
FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) have been discussed with respect to Dataverse in the Nature article: https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201618. They are being heavily pushed by the EU Commission, e.g. as mandatory in the Horizon 2020 program and as a foundation of the European Open Science Cloud, and are therefore important in a European context.

I don't know about Dspace... but will follow this thread with interest.

If anybody has done formal assessment of FAIRness of Dataverse and Dspace, that would also be most interesting.

Regards,
Anders

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jun 19, 2017, 5:52:44 PM6/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Anders! I'd love to see that assessment as well!

I started digging around DSpace's documentation out of curiosity and thought the following links would be helpful in evaluating. Thalia, if you have any follow up questions or could share what you've learned, we're all ears!

Best,
Julian

Guides: Dataverse guides; DSpace guides
Development issue trackers and roadmaps: Dataverse Github issues, roadmap and features; DSpace Jira (with issues and features)

Christina Guldfeldt Madsen

Jun 20, 2017, 5:43:11 AM6/20/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Dear all

The DEFF (Denmark’s Electronic Research Library) project “Data Management in Practice” aims to meet the challenge of how to manage research data through the establishment of a number of practical services.

We* have been working on the project for the last two years and, among other things, an examination of following repositories has been made (in regard to specific criteria such as price, access to data, sustainability and so on):

Main page: https://sbprojects.statsbiblioteket.dk/display/DAT/RDM+Repository+Evaluation

Maybe this can be a help in regard to DSpace vs Dataverse.? :-)

Best regards

Christina

*We = The Royal Library (KB), DTU Library, Technical Information Center of Denmark (DTIC), University of Southern Denmark, Library (SUB), Roskilde University Library (RUB), The Danish National Archives (DDA), and The University Library, Aalborg University (AUB)

Thalia U.M.

Aug 9, 2017, 11:27:08 AM8/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Christina, I was looking for this, a comparative table on repositories. It helps me to know which repository to work with.

Regards
Thalia

Philip Durbin

Aug 9, 2017, 12:39:20 PM8/9/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the comparison Christina linked to is fantastic. My only feedback is that it's important to distinguish between Dataverse the *software* and an particular *installation* of Dataverse. I bring this up because items like "file limits" and "price per year" apply to an *installation* of Dataverse, not to the software itself. It's a common confusion and I hope this makes sense. For example, Harvard Dataverse may choose to increase (or decrease, I suppose) file limits some day but Dataverse the software lets you configure no file limits at all if you want.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that last month we (the Dataverse team) released out own comparative review of data repositories at https://dataverse.org/blog/comparative-review-various-data-repositories . Feedback is welcome!

Thanks,

Phil