Steve Kraffmiller

Apr 30, 2013, 11:05:31 AM4/30/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
In the next version of DVN we plan to introduce the idea of subnetworks which will allow groups of dataverses to be displayed under a common network-like branding within a larger dataverse network.  Please see the attached document for more details and provide any feedback or suggestions here.

Thanks,

Philip Durbin

May 2, 2013, 11:25:05 AM5/2/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't have much to add except to say that I'm thinking hard about
the implications subnetworks will have on search*. This makes sense to
me:

"When a user is in the context of a subnetwork any search that is
performed will return studies that are owned by dataverses in that
subnetwork along with any studies from outside dataverses that are
included in collections."

I'll also just mention that the ticket about subnetwork functionality is here:

https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/2918

Phil

* Since I'm working on adding faceted search to the DVN in
https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/2656
> --

Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org
http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin

Philip Durbin

May 31, 2013, 9:03:06 AM5/31/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
How do people feel about things moving on the homepage for a dataverse
installation?

If you look at the image just below 'Mockup of Dataverse Network root
network page with a new section to access the various "Dataverse
Subnetworks"' at
http://thedata.org/blog/upcoming-changes-version-35-dataverse-network-subnetworks
you'll see an subnetwork called "Astronomy" with three little dots
under it to indicate it's 1 of 3 subnetworks. And there are little
arrows to indicate that you can see the other subnetworks if you
click.

Now that I've pulled in the latest code, I see that I don't even have
to click... The subnetworks scroll by automatically. Somehow my lizard
brain is distracted and somewhat bothered by all this motion on the
page though.

Just throwing this out there...

Phil

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Steve Kraffmiller

Philip Durbin

May 31, 2013, 9:47:33 AM5/31/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
some nice chatter about this at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2013-05-31

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=dvn is the easiest way to join in

August Muench

May 31, 2013, 10:51:19 AM5/31/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
I agree with everything "sbmarks" says about subnetwork administration...

And I want to know what the subnetwork (homepage and dataverse) URLs are going to look like, as well as whether handle/DOI minting will be subnetwork specific...

 - gus

Heppler, Michael

May 31, 2013, 11:00:45 AM5/31/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Gus,

The URLs were worked out to look like:

/dvn/dataverses/[subnetwork_name]

That way, the user sees in the URL, that they are looking at a subset of dataverses, within the DVN.

Mike

Stephen Marks

May 31, 2013, 11:45:39 AM5/31/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Subnetwork-specific identifier minting is a great idea as well.