Status of handle support in DV v4.x

Joerg Messer

May 2, 2017, 8:49:49 PM5/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Greetings,

We're starting to plan out our migration path from DVN v3.6 to DV v4.x and it would be good to know when we can expect handle support to be available?  It looks like it might be a show stopper for us.  Any thoughts would be most welcome.  Thanks.

//Joerg (UBC)

Vyacheslav Tikhonov

May 3, 2017, 8:44:17 AM5/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Joerg,

At the moment it's only available in our release (DANS branch for dataverse.nl) https://github.com/DANS-KNAW/dataverse/releases but guys are working hard now to get it finally merged with Dataverse master branch. As far as I know it's almost did passed QA. Right, Phil?

Best,
Slava

danny...@g.harvard.edu

May 3, 2017, 10:10:18 AM5/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi - we're currently working with a group to restore Handles support. They are picking up the work that DANS put a lot of work into last year. It's well on its way, going through our code review process now. We'll QA it after that. You can see it on our Waffle board here:

It will either be included in our next release (4.6.2, within the next two/three weeks), or if it needs further work, we'll create a special release for it since it's such a needed and requested feature for the community.

Thanks,

Danny

Eugene Barsky

May 3, 2017, 11:46:08 AM5/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
This is brilliant. Thanks a lot for Slava and DANS for coding this back. At UBC, we are running a large Dataverse with more than 31K data files and since the majority of our data is licensed data, we don't want to mint DOIs for these items. We do mint DOIs for research datasets but do that in our discovery application, Open Collections

Having an ability to issue handles is indeed very important for us and we really appreciate your efforts to restore it! Also, this is an important feature as we start thinking about Canada-wide Dataverse North :)

E.

Joerg Messer

May 3, 2017, 1:33:28 PM5/3/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Slava / Danny,

With handle support about to come back, it looks like the UBC Library's DV migration timing might be bang on.  Many thanks for confirming this.

//Joerg