"Cite Dataset" -> export does not include version or UNF so different versions have same citation

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Jul 4, 2018, 12:07:50 AM7/4/18
to Dataverse Users Community
hi All
We have noticed that the "Cite Dataset" export function (drop-down button) in EndNote XML, RIS & BibTeX export does not include the version number or the UNF.  Has anyone else commented on this?

I exported the EndNote XML to check, and both export the same citation:

Thanks
Janet

Sebastian Karcher

Jul 6, 2018, 11:25:37 AM7/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I'm working on some proposals for improving citation export, but the short version is that I think the version number should be included (as ET  - in RIS and ad <edition> in Endnote XML; BibTeX is a bit of a mess...) whereas neither standard has an appropriate field for UNF.

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 6, 2018, 11:42:09 AM7/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Last November I recorded how important Dataverse metadata fields were mapped to RIS tags and what happens when the RIS files are imported into different reference managers (and when different reference managers pull the metadata from html metatags): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZW5-KmKk5dJWZAD12m7xc1i11xtEY_4vCvTVK72bG38/edit#gid=0

Maybe that'll be helpful? I saw that when we download an RIS file from the landing page of a tabular file, the UNF for the file is in the RIS. (But like you saw, Janet, the dataset UNF isn't in the RIS file we get from the dataset page.)

I also saw that the dataset description and PID also don't show up when importing the RIS into Zotero, which I thought was much more of a problem.

It's awesome that you're tackling this, Sebastian!

Sebastian Karcher

Jul 6, 2018, 11:43:09 AM7/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
could you share the spreadsheet? I don't have access

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 6, 2018, 11:48:58 AM7/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes, sorry about that. You should have access now.

Sebastian Karcher

Jul 6, 2018, 12:14:23 PM7/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks! I'm happy to report that the Zotero/PID issue is since solved. It appears as DOI:10.1234/5678 in the Extra field, where it is picked up by citation styles (and will be migrated once Zotero has a proper category).

Sebastian Karcher

Jul 6, 2018, 1:56:04 PM7/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I've opened an issue with a proposal here:
Comments/questions welcome!