Add new categories to the dataverseType

Santiago Florez

Mar 6, 2023, 3:04:16 PM3/6/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,
Someone know how can i add new or remove categories to the list when we create a new dataverse?. I hope that someone can help with this.

Philip Durbin

Mar 6, 2023, 4:30:36 PM3/6/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The categories are hard coded. If you're saying you think another one should be added, the process would be to create an issue and then (after some discussion), a pull request. For example, "Laboratory" was proposed in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3046 and then added in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/3070

The code has changed a bit since then. Here's where the enum lives these days: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v5.13/src/main/java/edu/harvard/iq/dataverse/Dataverse.java#L123-L146

I hope this helps!

Phil

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 3:04 PM Santiago Florez <florezsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,
Someone know how can i add new or remove categories to the list when we create a new dataverse?. I hope that someone can help with this.

Jacek Chudzik

Mar 7, 2023, 1:47:52 AM3/7/23
to Dataverse Users Community
We also had some trouble with these categories and I can suggest a "temporary solution" - if you need new one you can rename existing category via language files. That works for us.

Regards,
Jacek Chudzik

Santiago Florez

Mar 8, 2023, 10:45:09 AM3/8/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip and hi Jacek
Thanks for yours answers. I have other question, you kown how can I create my owns categories in a archive out of dataverse installation and merge it with the installation?

Philip Durbin

Mar 8, 2023, 11:19:34 AM3/8/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You would have to fork the code, which we don't recommend. Instead, can you please create an issue about this? Are you categories something that other installations might want? Or are they specific to your institution?

Santiago Florez

Mar 8, 2023, 11:29:27 AM3/8/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip
The categories are specific to my institution

Philip Durbin

Mar 8, 2023, 2:42:46 PM3/8/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I just re-discovered a new, open issue that seems highly related: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/9420

Please add a comment there with your use case. Alternatively, you are very welcome to create a new, more targeted issue as well, one that is focused on just the category. (A smaller chunk, as we like to say.) A new issue could have a title like "allow collection categories to be customized."

Thanks!

Phil

Santiago Florez

Mar 13, 2023, 3:52:11 PM3/13/23
to Dataverse Users Community
How can  i do that??
Thanks for answer

Jacek Chudzik

Mar 14, 2023, 7:57:30 AM3/14/23
to Dataverse Users Community
In language bundle directory search for file Bundle_en.properties (or Bundle_yourLanguage.properties) and inside search for:
# dataverse.xhtml
dataverse.type.selectTab.*
and:
#dataverse category - Facet Labels