Annoucing new submissions using RSS or Twitter?

Joerg Messer

Jul 7, 2014, 8:06:19 PM7/7/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I was wondering if RSS or Twitter support is planned for v4.0?  I believe Twitter support was included in an earlier version but it seems to have been removed from v3.6.x (or I'm blind as a bat!).  We've just completed a migration from DSpace to DVN and we're missing the ability to announce new data set acquisitions using RSS.  There was an earlier thread on this topic but it seems to have run out of steam.

//Joerg

Philip Durbin

Jul 8, 2014, 8:02:40 AM7/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I don't think we have had many requests for RSS. All I could find was this ticket about GeoRSS: https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/1177 . Wait, also this thread: RSS feeds from dataverse - Google Groups - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/MFNSc2EicTo

Here's the Dataverse 4.0 ticket about Twitter, Facebook, and Google+: https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/3864

Also, I thought I'd mention that we're on the mailing list for a new initiative called SHARE ( http://arl.org/share ) which stands for SHared Access Research Ecosystem and they've been working a lot on a notification service. I had shared this news originally at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/VFgHxUt_zY0/2bLtrFauYb4J

I hope this helps,

Phil

Stephen Marks

Jul 8, 2014, 10:13:24 AM7/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi all--

I have an (amazing) student assistant who has been working on generating RSS feeds for Most Recent Datasets. I can ask her if she'd be willing to share what she's done with the group.

Steve

Mercè Crosas

Jul 8, 2014, 10:16:21 AM7/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That would be great. Thanks, Steve.

Merce

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Director of Data Science, IQSS
Harvard University

Joerg Messer

Jul 8, 2014, 3:52:57 PM7/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
Phil,

Thanks for pointing out that Twitter integration is alive and well.  It might be all we need.  SHARE looks like an interesting initiative.  I  appreciate the heads up.

//Joerg

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Joerg Messer <joerg....@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings,

I was wondering if RSS or Twitter support is planned for v4.0?  I believe Twitter support was included in an earlier version but it seems to have been removed from v3.6.x (or I'm blind as a bat!).  We've just completed a migration from DSpace to DVN and we're missing the ability to announce new data set acquisitions using RSS.  There was an earlier thread on this topic but it seems to have run out of steam.

//Joerg

kim ph

Jul 14, 2014, 9:27:58 AM7/14/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello --

As Steve mentioned, we've set up two RSS feeds, for recently released studies and for most downloaded studies.  The code is free to use and available here: https://github.com/kimpham54/dataverse/tree/master/create-dataverse-rss.  Thanks,

Kim

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Philip Durbin <philip...@harvard.edu> wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Jul 14, 2014, 9:43:19 AM7/14/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I just made a Trello card in the "ideas" list for exposing this data via an API call rather than relying on a direct database connection: https://trello.com/c/MPvVXT3l/15-expose-latest-and-most-downloaded-datasets

Phil