Citation for Dataverse crosswalk

Julian Gautier

Mar 10, 2020, 10:30:26 AM3/10/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

There was a request recently to recommended a citation for the Dataverse crosswalk. What I suggested (also in the first tab of the Google Sheet) is:

The Dataverse Project. (2020, February). Dataverse 4.0+ Metadata Crosswalk. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Luzti7svVTVKTA-px27oq3RxCUM-QbiTkm8iMd5C54

It's far from complete (e.g. file metadata) and it'll get tougher to keep track of all of the changes as development becomes more distributed, so if you're working on anything that changes how metadata fields are mapped and makes it's way to a Dataverse release, feel free to leave a comment or email so that the crosswalk can be updated. :)

Thanks!
Julian

Crosas, Mercè

Mar 10, 2020, 2:51:43 PM3/10/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
How are we planning to keep track of versions? Also, shouldn't we have a DOI for it? Should a snapshot of the crosswalk be published in a Dataverse? Or perhaps even better, should we look into posting it in FAIRSharing (https://fairsharing.org/)?

Merce

--
Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
University Research Data Management Officer

Gautier, Julian

May 4, 2020, 8:04:46 AM5/4/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I think Dataverse's .tsv files, which are versioned on GitHub, have more of the things that are expected in the metadata profiles linked to in FAIRSharing, like what fields are required or optional and how many times a field can be repeated. So I've been wondering if we could add an entry to FAIRSharing that points to those .tsv files on GitHub, at least as a start.

But maybe this could be discussed during the Dataverse community meeting? It sounds like foundational changes to Dataverse's metadata handling will be discussed then.

Philipp at UiT

Jun 15, 2020, 2:05:23 AM6/15/20
to Dataverse Users Community
I plan to address this issue in the Flexible Metadata Session 2 on Friday.
Best, Philipp