Observations on Branding Your Installation

Sherry Lake

Sep 18, 2017, 4:28:55 PM9/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I've been testing out how all the different customizations work, where they appear and how to configure them.

This is a WONDERFUL feature!!

I really see putting this to great use.

Though I do want to point out a few observations:
  • My custom logo appears "after" my StatusMessageHeader. The default dataverse logo appears before the status. See my attached screen shots.
  • The Dataverse Project, version (text logo) info "falls off" the bottom of the footer. I guess it wouldn't be noticeable if the footer did not have a background.
  • There is no mention of ":LogoCustomizationFile" in the Database Settings section.

I can create tickets for this if you want.

Heppler, Michael

Sep 18, 2017, 4:47:25 PM9/18/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Bravo, Sherry!

The issue with the logo was recently discovered and has been fixed. It will be included in our next release.

I have not seen an issue in the footer with the Dataverse Project logo. Which browser is that screenshot in?

The setting for `:LogoCustomizationFile` appears to have made it into the top Branding Your Installation section of the Configuration pg in the Admin Guide, but not into the bottom Database Settings section. That's a simple fix, don't worry about a ticket!

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
The Institute for Quantitative Social Science
1737 Cambridge Street, Rm K333
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-2450
mhep...@hmdc.harvard.edu
www.iq.harvard.edu

Sherry Lake

Sep 18, 2017, 4:54:17 PM9/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michael,

It's the bottom image. The footer is black and on the bottom right the Dataverse Project with the version number is not fully inside the background.

Heppler, Michael

Sep 18, 2017, 8:50:33 PM9/18/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
OK. Thank you for providing the screenshots! But, I was asking which browser (and version number, and OS) you were using, so that I may test the code we provided in a similar environment. If I see the same problem you see, it will be easier for me to fix!

Mike

Sherry Lake

Sep 19, 2017, 9:29:25 AM9/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Mike,

I see this in all browsers on my Mac (OS 10.12.6):

Chrome:  60.0.3112.113 (where the screen shot was taken)
FIrefox:  55.0.3
Safari: 10.1.2

Heppler, Michael

Sep 19, 2017, 3:52:53 PM9/19/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
OK. I see it now. My local dev environment has all of the customization options turned EXCEPT the custom footer. Sorry.

The fix is very simple. If you open the `custom-footer.xhtml` file, and search for the `#footer` stylesheet ID selector, you need to edit the value of `bottom` property to be `-130px`, which should raise the Dataverse Project logo back into the footer.

Let me know if that works. I am going to create a GitHub issue for this minor fix, then will try to get this prioritized into one of our upcoming releases.

If you find anything else, please let us know!

Mike

Heppler, Michael

Sep 19, 2017, 4:04:10 PM9/19/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sherry,

Here is the GitHub issue that I have created where we can track any UI layout issues we need to fix.

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4145

I'll report back here for any updates on that issue.

Mike

Sherry Lake

Sep 19, 2017, 4:56:44 PM9/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Mike,

That px tweak fixed the logo hanging off problem.

I had another question about the customized header html file. The file has a link to a sample.png file. But I couldn't get my image, that I put in the branding directory, to work with that link.
I got it to work by putting my image in the "logos/navbar" folder and using that as the link: src="/logos/navbar/uva-horizontal-logo.png"

is the path in the sample supposed to work (src="/var/www/dataverse/branding/sample.png")?

Here's my latest look:

Heppler, Michael

Sep 20, 2017, 4:21:56 PM9/20/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sherry,

In the custom-header.html file, the image path was intended as an example. We will have to looking into finding a better sample. Thank you for providing a solution that worked for you.

For the other problems you've raised, I have fixed those and you can track the further progress of those in the GitHub issue.

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4145

Keep us posted on how the rest of your customization goes.

Mike