metadataBlock property displayFacet

Youn Noh

Jul 19, 2024, 1:53:20 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to Dataverse Users Community
Does anyone have a sample metadata block tsv file and link to a UI demonstrating the use of displayFacet? I found a feature request at the link below that I think might be related, but I wanted to be sure.

If a value is not set for displayFacet, can the UI still be configured to display a facet that allows users to restrict search by metadata block? If so, then what is used as the value for displayFacet?

Thanks!

Philip Durbin

Jul 19, 2024, 2:06:31 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure displayFacet is only used when the "Dataset Features" facet is enabled: https://guides.dataverse.org/en/6.3/api/native-api.html#set-metadata-block-facets-for-a-dataverse-collection

I checked Harvard Dataverse and our demo site but we aren't using "Dataset Features" yet. However, the screenshots in the issue you found show it pretty well.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Youn Noh

9:54 AM (13 hours ago) 9:54 AM
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks!

I have another question about the behavior of metadata blocks. If I create a custom Linguistics metadata block with a language field that uses ISO 639-3 as its controlled vocabulary (and adds some other fields), can the Solr schema, indexing, and search be configured to allow values from one Solr field to be preferred over another if populated or can the values from multiple fields be combined for search? (From what I know of other applications that use Solr, I believe that at least the latter should be possible but just wanted to make sure it would work for Dataverse.) Also, is there an anticipated release date for the update to citation.tsv that will incorporate ISO 639-3 as the controlled vocabulary for language?

Thanks in advance!

Philip Durbin

10:42 AM (12 hours ago) 10:42 AM
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We are actively discussing ISO 639-3 support at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/10578

As for combining fields etc, it sounds pretty advance but perhaps you'd be able to do with with custom Javascript when using external vocabulary services: https://guides.dataverse.org/en/6.3/admin/metadatacustomization.html#using-external-vocabulary-services

Of course, external vocab doesn't typically use (internal) Solr fields. But I'm just trying to say you have a lot of control if you write your own Javascript.

I hope this helps,

Phil