Housekeeping

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Dec 27, 2017, 3:47:45 AM12/27/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

We would like to know whether does any of housekeeping of the following folders in the dataverse servers

/usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs
/usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/files/temp

I was asked by my system admin whether files in these folders can be deleted to regain space. Please let me know if we can delete those files and also please share if anyone is doing it automatically with some scripts.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Thanks
Venki

Philip Durbin

Jan 2, 2018, 9:36:29 AM1/2/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Venki,

Happy New Year! For Glassfish logs I found some options under "To Change the Limit Number of Retained Files" at https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2416/gklmn.html#gkmai . Those docs are for Glassfish 3 and sadly there is no longer an HTML version of Glassfish docs but they seem to be more or less the same as section 7-16 of the PDF for newer versions of Glassfish, the Admin Guide at https://javaee.github.io/glassfish/documentation

For the Dataverse-specific temp files, we've been meaning to document the directories and I left a comment on your behalf over at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2848

On dev servers I simply delete old log files. I'm not sure if there's value in archiving them. On dev servers I've never had problems with temp files but I've head they can eat up a fair amount of disk in production. Perhaps others can weigh in with their thoughts.

Thanks,

Phil

Don Sizemore

Jan 2, 2018, 12:04:47 PM1/2/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I was giving Kevin a chance to chime in, but he told me that files left lying around in temp/ are essentially orphaned and may be deleted at your discretion after more than say 24 hours.

Glassfish logging is at your discretion - we compress ours and keep them, but unless you've adjusted logging for anything in particular you'd mostly get timestamps.

I hope this helps?
Donald

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Venkatachalam Kannadasan <kanna...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

We would like to know whether does any of housekeeping of the following folders in the dataverse servers

/usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs
/usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/files/temp

I was asked by my system admin whether files in these folders can be deleted to regain space. Please let me know if we can delete those files and also please share if anyone is doing it automatically with some scripts.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Thanks
Venki

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Jan 10, 2018, 9:29:54 PM1/10/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Phil and Donald

Thank you for the inputs. Will discuss the options with my system admin.

Regards
Venki