return tsv metadatablocks

Christian Bischof

Mar 14, 2023, 6:21:05 AM3/14/23
to Dataverse Users Community

Hello,

is there a way to read the tsv metadatablocks (citation.tsv, social_science.tsv) from an existing DV installation? With https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/api/native-api.html#metadata-blocks not all settings of a tsv block will be returned. For a single field: https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/admin/metadatacustomization.html#exploring-metadata-blocks is also not complete.

Thanks,

best Christian

Baptiste ROUXEL

Mar 14, 2023, 9:23:57 AM3/14/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Are you refering to fields such as "facetable", "displayFormat", "required" and more?

I used the following links:

Best,
Baptiste

Christian Bischof

Mar 15, 2023, 6:24:08 AM3/15/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Thank you,
but in the JSON there are also not all fields:
datasetField name title description watermark  fieldType displayOrder displayFormat advancedSearchField allowControlledVocabulary allowmultiples facetable displayoncreate required parent metadatablock_id

I need the current tsv, to make changes there and to load the tsv into our DV installation. Our github is not up to date.
Best

Sherry Lake

Mar 15, 2023, 8:51:30 AM3/15/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You need to make sure you use the citation.tsv file from your current version of the Dataverse software (the citation.tsv does change sometimes during a new release). Check the link to your release is here: https://www.iq.harvard.edu/roadmap-dataverse-project

At the bottom of the release page is the source code - download it.

You will find the metadata "tsv" blocks here:
scripts/api/data/metadatablocks

A few words of caution on making changes to the citation.tsv file:
  • VERY Important- You MUST not remove or change any of the required fields (required = TRUE in the tsv), or make them not required. I don't think the software will work if those are changed.
  • Whatever you change in the default citation.tsv file, it will need to be edited EACH time there is an update to the citation.tsv file in a new release (not all releases have updated metadata blocks, but the release notes will have information about change in metadata blocks).
  • IF you edit the tsv to change descriptions or names or watermarks, etc. the citation.properties file will un-do those changes. If you only want to change "display text" it might be better to just edit the citation.properties file (which will then need to be changed after every update):    WEB-INF/classes/propertyFiles/citation.property

--
Sherry Lake
University of Virginia Dataverse

Christian Bischof

Mar 16, 2023, 7:03:39 AM3/16/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Sherry,

I’m new in Linux & sysadmin, thank you for your help!

One thing I don’t understand, when I change required to TRUE I have the result “Required by Dataverse”, with the GUI I have the choice between Required & Optional, is this with a tsv setting also possible?

And how can I change a metadatafield to “hidden”, I can’t find a setting for the tsv here https://guides.dataverse.org/en/5.12.1/admin/metadatacustomization.html?highlight=metadatablocks

Best regards,

Christian

tsv.PNG

Sherry Lake

Mar 16, 2023, 3:03:32 PM3/16/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

There isn't a way in the tsv file to make a metadata field hidden. Only from the GUI.

--
Sherry

Balazs E. Pataki

Mar 21, 2023, 9:00:51 AM3/21/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for other reasons but we are working on a solution to export
metadatablocks in TSV format. If it is interesting for the community, we
can create a PR for this feature.

Balazs

On 2023. 03. 14. 11:21, Christian Bischof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to read the tsv metadatablocks (citation.tsv,
> social_science.tsv) from an existing DV installation? With
> https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/api/native-api.html#metadata-blocks not all settings of a tsv block will be returned. For a single field: https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/admin/metadatacustomization.html#exploring-metadata-blocks <https://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/admin/metadatacustomization.html#exploring-metadata-blocks> is also not complete.
>
> Thanks,
>
> best Christian
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/1a045232-1da1-4734-956b-1952ac4ac178n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/1a045232-1da1-4734-956b-1952ac4ac178n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Philip Durbin

Mar 21, 2023, 4:18:47 PM3/21/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a useful feature to me!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/dd90451c-91fa-f5d1-6c2e-113ec7905cbd%40sztaki.hu.

Darms, Johannes

Mar 22, 2023, 10:28:55 AM3/22/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I would love to see this feature merged into the main branch. I believe this feature is needed for the SPA to dynamically generate forms.