Migrating from Harvard.dataverse to local.dataverse

Jamie Jamison

Jul 17, 2019, 5:42:24 PM7/17/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I'd like to migrate the Social Science Data Archive at Harvard Dataverse to the new local UCLA Dataverse. Have other people done this? I'm trying to get a sense of how the migration path might work.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison
UCLA Library Data Science Center

Philip Durbin

Jul 19, 2019, 7:16:55 AM7/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie,

I hope that copying the files and metadata for each dataset isn't too difficult. Dataverse has APIs for this. I assume you'd want to use Dataverse's native JSON format or maybe DDI.

I'm not sure if you need all past versions of datasets or if you're fine with the latest version. Migrations from DVN 3 to Dataverse 4 were done with DDI and past versions were preserved.

The thing I keep wondering about is the persistent identifier for each dataset. It looks like right now there are handles such a https://hdl.handle.net/1902.1/M967 but I don't if you plan to mint new DOIs from your server.

At a high level, I think Dataverse as a community should help each other preserve data. I like the idea of Harvard Dataverse or other installations of Dataverse "incubating" datasets long enough for an institution to run its own installation.

Anyway, I imagine it's a multi-step process. Are you stuck at step 1? Do you have all the "ingredients" you need? Can the files and metadata be easily downloaded from Harvard Dataverse? Do you have a developer working on this?

I don't know if others have migrated datasets from one installation to another but I'm hoping they post about their experiences so we can all learn from each other.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Jamie Jamison

Jul 22, 2019, 5:16:49 PM7/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I'm the "team" and so far I don't know how the DOI issue will be resolved yet.

I have an idea of how to get the metadata.  Is it possible to download files from Harvard?

jamie

Philip Durbin