Dataverse very slow

c.a.g...@reading.ac.uk

Jul 3, 2015, 6:34:17 AM7/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
I don't know if it's just the number of files we have in our dataset on Dataverse (256) or whether others are also finding Dataverse to be very slow to react these days.  For instance it has taken me a good 10 minutes to log in and in a separate browser on my second screen I have been trying to add more files.  It's now just got to the Upload and Edit Dataset Files screen and that's 5 minutes after clicking the Edit button.

Yesterday afternoon I added several new files but can't see any of those this morning.  I have gone to the DRAFT version of the Dataset - in fact I seem to have 4 DRAFT versions which is strange in itself.

I should say I very much like the new system for uploading files - and that appeared to be very quick yesterday -I just can't find the files.

Many thanks
Cathy

Mercè Crosas

Jul 3, 2015, 8:44:47 AM7/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cathy,

We are aware of the performance issue related to a dataset with many data files. We are taking the appropriate actions to resolve this in the upcoming releases during the summer, which will require some changes in the Files tab and the edit/upload Files pages. However, this morning there might have been additional issues  with performance due to general network problems at Harvard. We are investigating this, but for now the system has recovered and it appears faster again.

With respect to seeing 4 draft version and not finding the recent uploaded files, it is very weird indeed. The development team is looking into this (note that due to the long holiday weekend in the US, resources are limited), and we'll follow up with you as soon as possible. We'd like to ask you to wait to upload more files until you hear back from us.

Finally, many thanks for the nice words about Dataverse. We very much like the new system too, and needless to say, we want to improve it to address any performance or functional issue to provide a great experience for all our community.

All the best,
Merce

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Director of Data Science, IQSS
Harvard University

Cathy A. Garlick

Jul 3, 2015, 9:06:26 AM7/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

That’s great – thanks Merce – Enjoy your weekend. Hopefully your weather there is as nice as it is here at the moment.

Cathy

Philip Durbin

Jul 3, 2015, 9:58:00 AM7/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com