Connect Dataverse to metadata service

Philipp at UiT

Apr 1, 2020, 12:55:59 PM4/1/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Yesterday, I gave a short presentation about Dataverse for the CLARIN-ERIC (https://www.clarin.eu/) community (cf. https://hdl.handle.net/10037/17951). After the presentation, I got the following question: Can Dataverse be combined with a metadata service like META-SHARE (http://www.meta-share.org/), meaning that data are deposited into Dataverse, but the metadata reside in META-SHARE? I'm aware of the opposite scenario, i.e. the possibility to create datasets in Dataverse only containing metadata and the data being stored in remote storage agents, but I haven't heard about use cases where a dataset in Dataverse only contains data, but no metadata. I guess an alternative would be to migrate the datasets in question (including their metadata) into Dataverse.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I can forward them to CLARIN.

Best, Philipp

Crosas, Mercè

Apr 1, 2020, 5:25:47 PM4/1/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Philipp,

I don't know of use cases in which we support this.  I would suggest, though, that even in cases when the metadata are added in Meta-share, metadata should also be deposited and available in Dataverse so the datasets are discoverable and self-explained. This would increase the findability of datasets (could be found in both Dataverse and in Meta-share). I would need to know more about Meta-share metadata support to make sure that this would not be a problem or to see if there could be more creative ways of populating the metadata in both platforms at the same time.

If there is more interest in that, we could learn more about it and find suitable recommendations.

Merce

--
Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
University Research Data Management Officer

Philipp at UiT

Apr 2, 2020, 3:55:14 AM4/2/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Mercè! I'll pass this on to CLARIN. I hope their technical staff can tell us more about what this use case would imply.
Best, Philipp

Jonathan Crabtree

Apr 2, 2020, 10:57:33 AM4/2/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Merce. A harvesting approach would be better so both platforms had the metadata

Jon

Jonathan Crabtree

Director Cyberinfrastructure

Odum Institute UNC Chapel Hill