DVN in a virtual machine

Ricardo Pluss

Mar 5, 2013, 9:53:26 AM3/5/13
to Dataverse Community
I prefer to try DVN in a virtual machine, using Lubuntu and VirtualBox.
In my experience this is a good solution to test DVN as a sand box, and specially to share it with other people of my community of practice at CONICET (Argentina).
My VM runs quickly with only 768 Mb in a MS Windows machine with 2 Gb.
¿What do you think about this?

Ricardo

Philip Durbin

Mar 5, 2013, 10:04:30 AM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricardo,

If you like VirtualBox and want to try installing the DVN, I would
recommend giving https://github.com/dvn/dvn-install-demo a try.

Phil
> --

Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org
http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin

Ricardo Pluss

Mar 5, 2013, 11:08:41 AM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I'm sorry
, I do not need to use the virtual machine that you propose because my virtual machine is running smoothly. Moreover, at the time I needed to learn about installing the software, to help others in CONICET.
I think many people would be interested in the VM you have posted, because software installation is difficult.

Ricardo

Philip Durbin

Mar 5, 2013, 11:37:48 AM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricardo,

Ok. Are you asking if 2 GB is enough RAM for your VM?

I'm sorry if I misunderstand the question.

Also, I can't say I disagree... but I'm curious what you find
difficult about installing DVN. Certainly our installer is geared
toward Linux, not Windows...

Phil

Ricardo Pluss

Mar 5, 2013, 1:45:20 PM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Phil
Sorry, maybe my English prose is not good (my first language is Spanish).
My pc has 2 GB of memory, Windows XP operating system and VirtualBox software. The operating system of the virtual machine is Fedora 17 LXDE y ocupa 768 Mb. DVN works pretty fast within that virtual machine.
The problems encountered during the installation of the virtual machine are explained in my post of February 21.
Regards

Philip Durbin

Mar 5, 2013, 2:07:51 PM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ricardo,

Right, I had forgotten about your "Several problems installing
Dataverse on Linux Fedora 17" post at
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/dataverse-community/IcSfUrXjw4c/discussion
which was very detailed and much appreciated!

It just came to my attention that there are now Fedora base boxes at
http://www.vagrantbox.es so (given time) I could test
https://github.com/dvn/dvn-install-demo with Fedora rather than
CentOS.

But! Do you really want to run Fedora in production? I wouldn't. :)

I'm curious why you chose Fedora rather than CentOS.

I understand now that your Windows PC has 2 GB of RAM and the
VirtualBox VM (Fedora, running DVN) only has 768 MB of RAM. I think
you said this at the start... :)

Is 768 MB enough? I'm not sure... I think I would give it some more...

Phil

Ricardo Pluss

Mar 5, 2013, 3:09:54 PM3/5/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Phil,
the answer is simple: we are in a stage of diffusion and DVN small tests with researchers and other collaborators, mainly to learn how DVN, that's all.
When it comes time to install the server in production mode, we will use CentOS or Fedora, I do not know what will be our choice.
regards

Ricardo

Philip Durbin

Mar 5, 2013, 3:33:45 PM3/5/13