Big data - what sizes are we talking about?

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Jan 11, 2021, 12:48:02 AM1/11/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All, and Happy New Year.

I am investigating where the community is at with big data.  Fantastically I was able to refer to the Installation Personas Data (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YCCf22h_27Gr0qp2XOkIp36cGgy_mohn7DCmn9Xkm9Q/edit#gid=0) to see who is also interested in big data.

The user guides refer to DCM (as an experimental component) for big data via RSYNC over SSH, but I haven't been able to find reference to data file sizes by installations who have implemented DCM as a solution.

I am interested in whether anyone is uploading/downloading sizes of several TB?

Thanks
Janet

Philip Durbin

Jan 25, 2021, 11:42:40 AM1/25/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janet,

Happy New Year to you too.

I'm not sure what file sizes have been ultimately used with DCM but during development we talked about collections of files that were in the neighborhood of 100 GB.

I hope this helps,

Phil