changing user email and they forgot their password

38 views
Skip to first unread message

Jamie Jamison

unread,
Jul 29, 2020, 3:31:44 PM7/29/20
to Dataverse Users Community
I have an external user for UCLA's dataverse.  I created a 'built-in'user account for him.  Now he needs to change his email but doesn't know his password.   

Is their an easier method then deleting and recreating his account?  I'm having a bit of trouble deleting him so I may have to create a completely new account.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison

Philip Durbin

unread,
Jul 29, 2020, 4:54:51 PM7/29/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/43675d83-48d5-448c-9e69-75fc84ac5c0fo%40googlegroups.com.


--

Jamie Jamison

unread,
Aug 3, 2020, 2:23:31 PM8/3/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Problem was he does't have access to the original email account.   I just made a new account for him.


On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:54:51 PM UTC-7, Philip Durbin wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
I have an external user for UCLA's dataverse.  I created a 'built-in'user account for him.  Now he needs to change his email but doesn't know his password.   

Is their an easier method then deleting and recreating his account?  I'm having a bit of trouble deleting him so I may have to create a completely new account.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Philip Durbin

unread,
Aug 3, 2020, 2:42:02 PM8/3/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ah. Ok. We generally don't recommend hacking on the database directly but the "email" column of the "authenticateduser" table is where email addresses are stored. This issue is related:

- User Account Email: superuser ability to edit email for user accounts: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2667

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 2:23 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
Problem was he does't have access to the original email account.   I just made a new account for him.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:54:51 PM UTC-7, Philip Durbin wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
I have an external user for UCLA's dataverse.  I created a 'built-in'user account for him.  Now he needs to change his email but doesn't know his password.   

Is their an easier method then deleting and recreating his account?  I'm having a bit of trouble deleting him so I may have to create a completely new account.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/83a86c44-4c2a-4a1a-9ed2-0fd80291cf72o%40googlegroups.com.

Jamie Jamison

unread,
Aug 4, 2020, 4:17:21 PM8/4/20
to Dataverse Users Community
I wouldn't want to hack the database so I just made another account.  One think I couldn't seem to do was delete the first account.  But otherwise all worked out.


On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 11:42:02 AM UTC-7, Philip Durbin wrote:
Ah. Ok. We generally don't recommend hacking on the database directly but the "email" column of the "authenticateduser" table is where email addresses are stored. This issue is related:

- User Account Email: superuser ability to edit email for user accounts: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2667

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 2:23 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
Problem was he does't have access to the original email account.   I just made a new account for him.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:54:51 PM UTC-7, Philip Durbin wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Jamie Jamison <jam...@g.ucla.edu> wrote:
I have an external user for UCLA's dataverse.  I created a 'built-in'user account for him.  Now he needs to change his email but doesn't know his password.   

Is their an easier method then deleting and recreating his account?  I'm having a bit of trouble deleting him so I may have to create a completely new account.

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

danny...@g.harvard.edu

unread,
Aug 4, 2020, 4:41:05 PM8/4/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Jamie, we do have the merge API that may be useful here: 

Vamsee Krishna Kiran M

unread,
Oct 5, 2020, 5:00:23 AM10/5/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I am Kiran from development team of ICRISAT. We have our own instance of Dataverse running. Our version is Dataverse 4.14.

Just like the issues mentioned earlier in this mail thread. I am trying to merge two accounts and I am receiving an  Internal server 500 error. Can you please help me resolve this?

The following are the details:

Call used: curl -H "X-Dataverse-key: $KEY" -X POST http://dataverse.icrisat.org/api/users/$olduser/mergeIntoUser/$newuser

Response: Internal Server 500 error.

Please help me.

danny...@g.harvard.edu

unread,
Oct 5, 2020, 9:31:15 AM10/5/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi, one possible answer is that there was an issue resolved in 4.15 for case sensitive user names (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3575). Since you're on 4.14, can you try the merge with the usernames' capitalization as it is in the DB? 

Thanks,

Danny

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages