Problems using Customized Guides (GuidesBaseURL)

Sherry Lake

Dec 9, 2015, 3:36:16 PM12/9/15
to Dataverse Users Community
I am running into problems getting our local instance of DV linked with our customized Guides.

I've set the GuidesBaseURL link, BUT the path to my guide is not the same as what seems to be "hard coded".

There are a couple of issues I see.

1.  The URLs on Harvard's DV guides are not consistent - the ending URLs are as follows (with http://guides.dataverse.org  as the default root value):

/en/4.2/user
/en/latest/developers
/en/latest/installation
/en/4.2/api

2.  I used the instructions here: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/documentation.html  using  sphinx "make". The directory "html" was created. That's where all my document files are and what I thought I could use as my "base" URL. For the GuidesBsseURL I tried to use: "http://people.virginia.edu/~sah/html". But instead of "/user" being appended to my base, "/en/4.2/user" was appended. So do I have to move my guides to a directory path to match the DV (above) hard coded links?

Here's what I created: http://people.virginia.edu/~sah/html/user   (all my documentation is under the directory "html"). So the paths I have are quite different than what DV is expecting, but they are the paths created from sphinx.

BACKGROUND for why UVa Specific Guides
I wanted to create my own guides so I could get rid of the "api, installation and development" guides. We only want the User Guides.

In addition we are creating UVa specific instructions for logging on and adding sections  "Glossary of Terms", "UVa Helpful Hints", "Glossary of Icons" (which I will gladly share).

Even though my documentation  only includes a "User Guide" the DV program expects links for Developers Guide, Installation Guide and API Guide, so that's going to be another problem.  I really like how the 3.6 Guides pointed to one URL that could be customized. Should I make this an enhancement request?

Thanks
Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Dec 10, 2015, 10:16:13 AM12/10/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

I love the idea of a glossary of terms and icons! It reminds me of https://github.com/blog/1106-say-hello-to-octicons and https://github.com/blog/1135-the-making-of-octicons

Yes, please create an issue for which links to guides you'd like to hide. Please check out the API token page and how it links to the API Guide. I assume you don't want that link to be there? I kind of like having that link.

When we `make html` and publish our guides we send them to a directory that's already set up at en/4.3 or whatever. It looks like your should live at http://people.virginia.edu/~sah/html/en/4.3 so I would `mkdir -p en/4.3` and put your docs in there.

We also manually symlink "latest" to the version of the docs that's in production. We just pushed 4.2.2 to production last night and I haven't fixed the links yet, so here's how it looks with "latest" still pointing to 4.2.1:

[pdurbin@dvnweb-vm3 ~]$ cd /var/www/docs.dataverse.org/en
[pdurbin@dvnweb-vm3 en]$ file *
3.6.2:  directory
4.0:    directory
4.0.1:  directory
4.1:    directory
4.2:    directory
4.2.1:  directory
4.2.2:  directory
4.2.3:  directory
4.3:    directory
latest: symbolic link to `4.2.1'
[pdurbin@dvnweb-vm3 en]$

You are welcome to see how we deploy our guides by looking at this, for example:

https://build.hmdc.harvard.edu:8443/job/guides.dataverse.org-4.2.2/48/consoleFull

I hope this helps! Please keep the questions coming!

Phil

Sherry Lake

Dec 11, 2015, 2:54:30 PM12/11/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Thanks for the info Phil.

What I would like to propose, and I will add this as an issue, is that the "Guides" link at the top of the page NOT be a drop down but go to one [configurable] link (set as GuidesURL, so we can select THE URL - one - we want, and not need a "base" URL).

For Harvard Dataverse if  "Guides" went to just one URL, I would think you would want this link:
http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2/    OR this one http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/

This page is created via sphinx make and lists all the other guides in the TOC list. As it is now, all the info that shows up on this page, is not readily available to Dataverse users (or at least I don't think anyone knows it is there).

Thanks for listening,
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Dec 16, 2015, 5:15:27 PM12/16/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for creating these issues, Sherry:

Dataverse Guides Link - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2831

Guides URLs are not Consistent - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2832