With long file lists, select all does not select all

Alex Coppock

Aug 9, 2016, 9:59:25 AM8/9/16
to Dataverse Users Community

apologies if this is a dupe, I couldn't find it here or on github...

When a study has many files, only a fraction are loaded.  Users have to scroll down to load more.  Consequently, the "select all" button does not select all.  Since the most common behavior is likely to be downloading entire repositories, the select all button should select all.

This is apparent in this study: http://hdl.handle.net/1902.1/21919, which has 274 files.

is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Alex Coppock

Heppler, Michael

Aug 9, 2016, 10:12:06 AM8/9/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, Alex.

Yes, improving the UX for datasets with a large number of files is a known issue and we are working to improve file related features on the dataset page. You can track the issue in GitHub here.

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2021

As you can see in the mockup posted to that issue, we plan to add many improvements to the layout, including filtering, and an improved navigation/layout for datasets with a large number of files. I recommend you add your comments to that issue, so that you can get notifications on it's progress and contribute to the discussion.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions related to this feature.

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
Dataverse, Consilience, Data Science at
The Institute for Quantitative Social Science
1737 Cambridge Street, Rm K333
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-2450
mhep...@hmdc.harvard.edu
www.iq.harvard.edu

Jonathan Bohan

May 17, 2018, 2:52:00 PM5/17/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I've just discovered this issue and it is a HUGE issue. If you're restricting files and click the select all box it doesn't restrict all the files in the dataset unless you've scrolled down first. This can cause major problems. This is not clear at all.

Sherry Lake

May 17, 2018, 3:24:04 PM5/17/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I tried this an can reproduce.

This issue is similar:

But not exactly. Because there is no "spinner" to wait for (unless you scroll down, which isn't intuitive).

--
Sherry

Heppler, Michael

May 17, 2018, 5:01:16 PM5/17/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Jonathan.

Thank you for digging this email thread up out of the archives of my inbox with your experience and frustrations using the select functionality of our files dataTable component.

Recently we have started to put wheels in motion to improve this. I have created a new issue GitHub, specific to the files dataTable on the dataset pg, but the same UX improvements can also be applied to the Upload Files pg and the Edit Files pg.

Dataset Files DataTable - Paginator, Selection, Download, Counter #4656
https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4656

My thought related specifically to your use case is that the improved "dynamic counter" for the files dataTable, along with the paginator, will make it much clearer in the UI exactly how many files are in the dataset, how many files are displayed in the table, and how many files have been selected when clicking the checkboxes.

I recommend you add any additional information you can provide to that issue, in order to help contribute to improving it. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to discuss here further.

Cheers.

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer
Institute for Quantitative Social Science
Harvard University