Forgive me if this message is a bit chaotic with a lot of questions. I'm afraid that is the way how I chew on new challenges and not an indication for the quality of my work.
Ben gave me a Dutch document with our requirements for handle support, among others about
moving and deleting datasets. Perhaps it is better to initially narrow
down the scope and least omit deleting dataverses. Which other
organisations are relying on handles? Are other organisations relying on
other identification systems, perhaps even multiple systems?
I get a bit lost in all the issues and other communications related to handles, I found an FRD
that does not contain much more than github issue references. By the way, issue 888 confuses redmine numbers 2214 and 1843 for github issues ??? respective 886. There is also issue 2437, its title is about registration functionality but much of the discussion is about problems with resolving existing handles.
How can I get access to the ticket mentioned in http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2016-04-15
I'm afraid by playing around with my vagrant machine I created a "hello world" ticket, sorry for my ignorance about the virtual machine linking to the real world.
irc is also new to me, where can I sign up?
From what I've read an heard I understand:
- v3 supported handles
- v4 no longer registers handles, uses DOI as primary ID and an shows old handles as other id (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/FXefYcoj61o)
- batch jobs to hunt down unregistered DOI's and/or handles are not yet implemented (issue 888, 937)
- services to register DOI's or handles can be down, the system should retry in such a case until success (issue 1100)
- there has also been some migration issue preventing old handles from resolving (2437)
Ben told me about IISH relying on handles. They seem to go with a parallel development path for their own customisations. We prefer not to follow that example but rather contribute with a general solution. Just to familiarise myself with the code I cherry-picked
the IISH solution to assign handles onto the develop branch and polished it a bit, some observations:
- "Use constants" from the style Guide is not obeyed (please consider enums for constants where apropriate)
- The doiProvider, seems to be abused for handle provider, or needs a more generic name
- Please don't check for the provider instance but type of provider
- I added a new Interface as a suggestion
- IISH is using a SOAP interface, at DANS our handle service is still at v7, to not rock the migration boat too much at once, it might be safer to stik to the TCP protocol
My cherry-picked branch is not intended as a solution but now that I created it I'm wondering how to test anything. I saw my local git repo is mounted on the vagrant :) but how to get the changed code running?
- I suppose I need to execute scripts/deploy/phoenix.dataverse.org/rebuild
- should I shut down anything in advance?
- how/where do I configure the system properties required by the new PidServiceBean? I found them in .rst files, but I suppose these just are used to generate documentation and have otherwise nothing to do with the actual configuration.
- how/where is CommandContext configured?
+31 6 20 10 55 18
Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data. See www.dans.knaw.nl for more information and contact details. DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.
DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509 AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 | in...@dans.knaw.nl | www.dans.knaw.nl