Having trouble installing dataverse with postgres aws

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Mar 13, 2019, 12:33:01 PM3/13/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi! I am trying to install Dataverse. We are installing it on AWS services and have one server for the application and another for the Databsae. Both the ADMIN and the Dataverse Postgres User have different passwords.
I get the following error executing ./install:
(Tried executing: PGPASSWORD=################; export PGPASSWORD; /bin/psql -h dataverse.was.link -p 5432 -U root -d postgres -c 'SELECT * FROM pg_roles' > /dev/null 2>&1)

Haven't been able to connect to the remote Postgres server as the admin user.
(Or you simply don't have psql installed on this server)
It IS possible to configure a database for your Dataverse on a remote server,
without having admin access to that remote Postgres installation.

In order to do that, please copy the installer (the entire package) to the server
where PostgresQL is running and run the installer with the "--pg_only" option:

   ./install --pg_only

Press any key to continue the installation process once that has been
done. Or press ctrl-C to exit the installer.

I understand its a connection error. I modified install and included on the command to include -W
# 3d. CHECK IF WE CAN TALK TO POSTGRES AS THE ADMIN:
    if ($psql_exec_path eq "" || system( $psql_admin_exec . "/psql -h " . $CONFIG_DEFAULTS{'POSTGRES_SERVER'} . " -p " . $CONFIG_DEFAULTS{'POSTGRES_PORT'} . " -U " . $POSTGRES_ADMIN_USER . " -W -d postgres -c 'SELECT * FROM pg_roles' > /dev/null 2>&1" ) )

This works but it prompts for the ADMIN password, but the rest of the queries fail. Again if I set the -W parameter on the following query it works but I would have to do this n number of times...is there something I may be doing wrong or is there a fix for this?

Philip Durbin

Mar 14, 2019, 6:51:51 AM3/14/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jose,

Since you are modifying the "install" script I hope you get it working and if you do, please create a pull request. I've never attempted to get Dataverse running with Glassfish and PostgreSQL on separate servers (except, I suppose, in the context of OpenShift, but that's a long, complicated story) but Harvard Dataverse ran this way for years so once you get all the settings in place, it should work fine.

It's certainly possible you have found a bug in the installer. Please feel free to open an issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps someone with more experience running Dataverse with Glassfish and PostgreSQL on separate servers can join this conversation. I will say that in the installation guide we consider this to be an advanced installation: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.11/installation/prep.html#advanced-installation

Thanks,

Phil

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Mar 14, 2019, 9:32:55 AM3/14/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip! Thank you for your response! Since I'm in a rush to install Dataverse I just added -W to all the commands (5) and just input the password everytime it asked me to. I just posted the issue and will also be working more to solve the issue. Thanks!

Philip Durbin

Mar 14, 2019, 10:11:02 AM3/14/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I'm glad that workaround helped. Thanks for creating https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5644 and for offering to work on it! I just assigned it to you and dragged it to the "community dev" column at https://waffle.io/IQSS/dataverse

If anyone out there is running Dataverse with PostgreSQL on a separate server (or has ideas), please check out that issue and see if you can help.

I meant to say earlier that I would think `export PGPASSWORD` would make the password available to psql but I haven't really studied the script lately. It's Perl. Fun! :)

Thanks,

Phil

Pete Meyer

Mar 14, 2019, 10:29:18 AM3/14/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I don't recall the precise variable names, but I believe that you can put the postgres user/password into environmental variables which are then read by subsequent postgres commands.

Best,
Pete

Jose Antonio Galeano Cardenas

Mar 14, 2019, 2:20:43 PM3/14/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Yes but I don't know why is not working when having the application on one server and postgres on another. We have installed Dataverse without this problem but now we are moving into AWS and had to "split" the server (app and DB) and that's when I encountered the problem.

Pete Meyer

Mar 14, 2019, 3:06:28 PM3/14/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Sorry about that - I'd missed where you mentioned doing exactly that.

Fuad Wahyu Prabowo

May 3, 2020, 10:57:12 AM5/3/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,
I am trying to install PostgreSQL at this time. however, it cannot be installed. An error like this appears:

Error: Nothing to do

can anyone help? thank you

Don Sizemore

May 3, 2020, 12:40:54 PM5/3/20