Database admin access

Eunice Soh

Jul 21, 2022, 4:10:18 AM7/21/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi!

Can I confirm that superuser access is not required on postgres after installation? Upgrades use flyway, and this doesn't require superuser access as only tables are created/dropped but entire databases are not created, correct?

To check privileges:
\du+

Postgres admin password - We’ll need it in order to create the database and user for the Dataverse Software installer to use, without having to run the installer as root. If you don’t know your Postgres admin password, you may simply set the authorization level for localhost to “trust” in the PostgreSQL pg_hba.conf file (See the PostgreSQL section in the Prerequisites). If this is a production environment, you may want to change it back to something more secure, such as “password” or “md5”, after the installation is complete.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice Soh

Jul 21, 2022, 5:03:53 AM7/21/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Sorry, I meant to ask - is "Create DB" access required, not "Superuser" access. Thanks.

Don Sizemore

Jul 21, 2022, 7:24:17 AM7/21/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

To my knowledge elevated DB access shouldn't be needed after installation.

It isn't truly needed for installation if you use the install script's "force" (-f) flag, which allows the installer to run if the specified database already exists.

Don

Eunice Soh

Jul 21, 2022, 8:33:58 PM7/21/22
to Dataverse Users Community