Is it possible to edit Dataverse via API?

Taki NakaMura

Aug 30, 2021, 4:43:06 AM8/30/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

Suppose I have a Dataverse and I would like to fix the number of Department (the user cannot create Dataverse for Department, but they can create Dataverse for other categories), I removed the line
<f:selectItem id="dvDepartment" itemLabel="#{bundle['dataverse.type.selectTab.department']}" itemValue="DEPARTMENT" />
from the file dataverse.xhtml.
After removing this, when I edited the Department Dataverse, I cannot save it as Department because the option Department is missing from the select Menu, and I need to add the removed line back. Is there any way to edit the Dataverse via API like editing Dataset via API? Thanks.

Patrick

Philip Durbin

Aug 31, 2021, 12:03:48 PM8/31/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

To answer your main question, no, it's not possible to edit dataverses via API, not their metadata like category anyway. (You can add and remove roles, for example.) Please feel free to open an issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

That said, I'm a little confused about what you're up to. You're deleting a line from the xhtml to prevent users from adding a "Department" as a category? If you need more flexibility in how dataverse categories are defined, please feel free to open a separate issue about that.

Thanks,

Phil

Taki NakaMura

Sep 1, 2021, 4:16:18 AM9/1/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil

I had a list of departments and I created them in Dataverse, and I would like to prevent users from creating Dataverse in category "Department" and I deleted the line from the xhtml. After that, I found some mistakes and I would like to edit some of the existing "Department" Dataverses, but I cannot save them as "Department" because the line is deleted. I am using another way to do it and the problem is solved now.

Patrick
Philip Durbin 在 2021年9月1日 星期三上午12:03:48 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: