Dates in citation

Jonathan Bohan

Mar 7, 2018, 3:03:15 PM3/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
In the citation at the top of each study record, it reads like this:

U.S. Census Bureau, 2017, "Current Population Survey, August 1968: Smoking Supplement", doi:10.6077/J5/IAP5WN, Cornell University, V1

I understand that "2017" is the date it was published on Dataverse, however, we would like it to reflect the date it was originally added to our archive.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jonathan Bohan
CISER

Pete Meyer

Mar 7, 2018, 3:12:16 PM3/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jonathan,

This is sounding very similar to something I've encountered while working on moving previously published datasets into Dataverse.  I've been addressing this by changing the respective `createdate` and `publicationdate` entries in the `dvobect` table (in postgresql), and reindexing (which may not be necessary, but seems unlikely to hurt).

I'd recommend being careful (and making sure you have database backups) beforehand if you decide to go this route.

Best,
Pete

Condon, Kevin M

Mar 7, 2018, 3:37:14 PM3/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community

There is an API command that lets you change this:

Sets the dataset field type to be used as the citation date for the given dataset (if the dataset does not include the dataset field type, the default logic is used). The name of the dataset field type should be sent in the body of the reqeust. To revert to the default logic, use :publicationDate as the $datasetFieldTypeName. Note that the dataset field used has to be a date field:

PUT http://$SERVER/api/datasets/$id/citationdate?key=$apiKey

Mar 7, 2018, 3:38:00 PM3/7/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
There's also an API to change which date field is used for a particular dataset's citation. From the API guide:

Sets the dataset field type to be used as the citation date for the given dataset (if the dataset does not include the dataset field type, the default logic is used). The name of the dataset field type should be sent in the body of the reqeust. To revert to the default logic, use :publicationDate as the $datasetFieldTypeName. Note that the dataset field used has to be a date field:

PUT http://$SERVER/api/datasets/$id/citationdate?key=$apiKey

Restores the default logic of the field type to be used as the citation date. Same as PUT with :publicationDatebody:

DELETE http://$SERVER/api/datasets/$id/citationdate?key=$apiKey