US Department of Transportation - Data Repositories Conformant with the DOT Public Access Plan

courtne...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 12:26:20 PM8/15/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

The Texas Data Repository at TDL has had a local Texas DOT library request to get on the list of conformant data repositories for the US DOT. Currently, Harvard and Odum are already on the list at https://ntl.bts.gov/publicaccess/repositories.html

In order to avoid doing this from scratch, I'd appreciate some insight into what was done at Harvard and ODUM to be conformant with these guidelines (https://ntl.bts.gov/publicaccess/evaluatingrepositories.html). If either team would be willing to share their documentation towards conformance, that would be extremely helpful - with the caveat that we'd certainly adjust it to apply to the particular Texas installation.

Thanks in advance,
Courtney Mumma

Courtney C. Mumma
Services Manager
Texas Digital Library
Email: c.m...@austin.utexas.edu
Web: http://www.tdl.org/
Twitter: @TxDigLibrary
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/texasdigitallibrary
Join the e-mail list: http://tdl.org/news/newsletters/newsletter-signup/

Sherry Lake

Aug 16, 2017, 9:25:50 AM8/16/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I just sent an email to my contact at the National Transportation Library. I'll let you know what I hear.

--
Sherry Lake

Sherry Lake

Aug 23, 2017, 8:21:11 AM8/23/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Courtney, et al.

I emailed my DOT contact and this is what she said:

We are in the process of updating and migrating our web content, so your message is timely and appreciated!  I like the idea of devoting a section of the page on publicly accessible repositories to Dataverse repositories, and will bring it up with my colleagues this week.  I’ll be in touch.

Here's what I sent:

I write to you today about the National Transportation Library’s list of “conforming” data repositories. How would individual repositories get added to this list?

I am not talking about “any” institutional repository but those of us who have institutional versions of Dataverse (in some instances the same version, but served up on our local servers)? UVa’s data repository, Libra Data, is our institutional version of Harvard Dataverse. It’s the same software, just running on our local, UVa servers. https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu/

There are other institutional dataverses, other than Odum Institute, such as the Texas Digital Library: https://dataverse.tdl.org/

So our Dataverse Community was wondering how would we get our Dataverses listed on the NLT page? Maybe have a generic section generic title “Dataverse” and list our individual ones? Harvard and Odum are for anyone to deposit, the TDL and our Libra Data are only for local institutional members to deposit. All datasets, in ALL/ ANY Dataverses, get a DOI and are discoverable via DataCite harvesting.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Sherry

Philip Durbin

Aug 23, 2017, 9:00:46 AM8/23/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Sherry! Please keep us posted on the idea a section on Dataverse repositories.

courtne...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 1:16:55 PM9/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry and all,

I'm wondering if there have been any updates from your contact, Sherry, at US DOT. My local transportation librarian says that she got an alert from the site about an update going on over the next week or so, so I was wondering if there is someone I can nudge about including us as well as the other Dataverses out in the world?

Cheers,
Courtney

Sherry Lake

Sep 28, 2017, 1:38:23 PM9/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Courtney,

Thanks for the update. I just sent a followup to my DOT contact. I'll let your know what she says. I am pushing for a US list of Dataverses, instead of just the "mother-ship", Harvard. No offense, we love the "mother-ship", just want some recognition too.  ;-)

--
Sherry

Courtney Mumma

Sep 28, 2017, 1:44:32 PM9/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Sherry! The Center for Transportation Research Library at UT Austin tweeted today (see below) about the TDR and we really want to return the favor by being a repo that their shareholders approve of.

Cheers,
Courtney

Inline image 1