Cannot add data in Vagrant environment

Michiel Meulendijk

Apr 4, 2017, 7:35:13 AM4/4/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

I'm testing DataVerse using the Vagrant box at the moment. When I try to add data using the interface, files I add don't seem to be added. They don't appear under the 'Files you upload will appear here.' box nor in the final dataset. Do I have to tweak a setting...?

Cheers,
Michiel

Philip Durbin

Apr 4, 2017, 8:10:32 AM4/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! It's "Dataverse" with a lower-case "v". :)

Very strange. It should work and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. Can you please tell me which commit you're on? 5ad85dd or whatever. I would suggest using Vagrant from a specific tag, such as v4.6.1 because code in the "develop" branch can be slightly unstable.

Another thing you could try is uploading files via API rather than the GUI. There are two different ways to do this:

- http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.1/api/sword.html#add-files-to-a-dataset-with-a-zip-file
- http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.1/api/native-api.html#datasets

(See the part that has this example: curl -H "X-Dataverse-key:$API_TOKEN" -X POST -F 'file=@data.tsv' -F 'jsonData={"description":"My description.","categories":["Data"]}' "https://example.dataverse.edu/api/datasets/:persistentId/add?persistentId=$PERSISTENT_ID" )

If none of this helps, please go ahead and create an issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Thanks!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Apr 4, 2017, 8:35:58 AM4/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Michiel, please feel free to jump in http://chat.dataverse.org (#dataverse on freenode) where Don and I are discussing this. You can catch up on the discussion at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2017-04-04

The bottom line is that Don seems to agree with you that something is broken with Vagrant. :(

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Michiel Meulendijk <michielm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm testing DataVerse using the Vagrant box at the moment. When I try to add data using the interface, files I add don't seem to be added. They don't appear under the 'Files you upload will appear here.' box nor in the final dataset. Do I have to tweak a setting...?

Cheers,
Michiel

Michiel Meulendijk

Apr 4, 2017, 8:36:47 AM4/4/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil, thanks for you help!

I'm on today's developer commit: 10fcc2e

I tried posting through the native API with this URL and an unnamed POST payload:

I get error 500: Internal server error. More details available at the server logs.
Where can I find those?

Cheers,
Michiel

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 2:10:32 PM UTC+2, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Don Sizemore

Apr 4, 2017, 8:47:11 AM4/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
"I get error 500: Internal server error. More details available at the server logs.
Where can I find those?"

Hello,

If you're testing with Vagrant, try:

$ vagrant ssh
# sudo su -l glassfish
# cd /home/glassfish/glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs/

and take a look at server.log?

I'm looking at the jhove.conf placement error now.

I hope this helps?
Donald

Philip Durbin

Apr 4, 2017, 11:04:32 AM4/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Michiel, for letting us know about this bug and Don for chiming in. Good chat in IRC.

I opened https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3745 and believe I have fixed the problem in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/3746 . Works on my machine anyway! :)

Philip Durbin

Apr 4, 2017, 6:11:45 PM4/4/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ok, https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/3746 has been merged. Please try again from the "develop" branch. Thanks for the bug report! There was definitely an issue with our Vagrant setup.

Michiel Meulendijk

Apr 5, 2017, 5:04:36 AM4/5/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
I have run Vagrant from the latest commit and can confirm that the file upload now works.

I'm afraid I've run into another bug though... :( When uploading spreadsheets they get correctly converted into .tab files. I can download those files or their metadata variables. But when I try to download a subset, the TwoRavens popup remains empty. My browser console reports error 500 (internal server error) on URL http://localhost:8888/api/access/datafile/6?format=prep

For the record, http://localhost:8888/api/access/datafile/6 correctly downloads the original file.

Philip Durbin

Apr 5, 2017, 6:04:23 AM4/5/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We are tracking the subset bug here, I believe, but I don't know much about it:

I hope this helps. Thanks for confirming that Vagrant is working better!

Phil