Default url page for v3.6.2 or v4.2.3

ofu...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 8:04:44 AM2/10/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
I have successfully installed Dataverse v3.6.2 and  v4.2.3 in different servers. I can't figure out the base url. I have tried http://localhost:8080 and can see Glassfish running. I can't see the default page for v3.6.2 or v4.2.3 when I try  http://localhost:8080/dvn or http://localhost:8080/dataverse. Where can I fix this in domain.xml  or elsewhere? I can see dataverse application in directory "glassfish4(3)/glassfish/domains/domain1/applications".

Regards
OO

Philip Durbin

Feb 10, 2016, 9:11:14 AM2/10/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
In the DVN 3.x days the application was deployed to http://localhost:8080/dvn which was a little problematic from a marketing/branding perspective because there was a requirement to have the string "dvn" in all of your URLs. Technically, we used "/dvn" as the "context-root" (which is quite common for Java webapps so you can deploy multiple apps to the same server): https://github.com/IQSS/dvn/blob/3.6.2/DVN-root/DVN-web/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/glassfish-web.xml#L4

In Dataverse 4 we deploy the application to the "/" as the "context-root" so the application should be running at http://localhost:8080 . Since you're seeing the default Glassfish page I suspect that application hasn't been deployed. Here's how it should look when it's deployed:

[root@dvn-vm2 ~]# /usr/local/glassfish4/glassfish/bin/asadmin list-applications
dataverse-4.2.3  <ejb, web>
Command list-applications executed successfully.
[root@dvn-vm2 ~]#

I hope this helps,

Phil

p.s. I assume you're deploying the app as-is and not hacking on the code and creating your own war file. I've seen where Netbeans tries to change the "context-root" on my from "/" to "/dataverse" but the app only works at "/". Here's where this is set in Dataverse 4: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.2.3/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/glassfish-web.xml#L4

ofu...@gmail.com

Philip Durbin

Feb 11, 2016, 8:11:45 AM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Are you saying that Dataverse *4* has a "context-root" of "/dvn"? That doesn't make any sense. Again, it should be "/" for Dataverse 4.

DVN 3.x *should* have a "context-root" of "/dvn".

Are we're troubleshooting a deployment of DVN 3 or Dataverse 4?

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:33 AM, <ofu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

ofu...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 8:35:06 AM2/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Context-root for:
 4.2.3 is <context-root>/</context-root>
 3.6.2 ia <context-root>/dvn</context-root>

We want when one click on http://locahost:8080/dvn  , dataverse will be displayed
and when one click on http://locahost:8080/ , then dataverse 4.x will start.
v3.x og v4.x are on different servers.

OO

torsdag 11. februar 2016 14.11.45 UTC+1 skrev Philip Durbin følgende:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Feb 11, 2016, 8:47:40 AM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
In practice, you don't want users to actually go to port 8080, right? You should have all users go to https (port 443). (You should also redirect 80 to 443 so users don't send passwords in the clear.)

To achieve this with DVN 3.x you should probably change the Glassfish https port from 8181 to 443. You'll have to install a valid SSL cert into Glassfish, which is a pain.

As of Dataverse 4, we recommend either doing the above (8181 -> 443) or fronting Glassfish with Apache. I recently rewrote the Installation Guide and touched on this here if it help: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2.4/installation/config.html#network-ports

In general, I'm still struggling a bit to understand what you are trying to achieve. I see "default URL page" in the subject of this thread and I'm wondering what that's about. I'd like to invite others reading this to jump in as well with questions that can help clarify what the goal is because I don't think I'm getting it. You could also try sup...@dataverse.org of course. I'll go drink some more coffee and re-read this again in a bit. :)

Phil

ofu...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 9:20:29 AM2/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Both servers are test servers. So, it's only two-three persons that have access to the servers. My problem is that I can't  run them on localhost:port/dvn or /dataverse.  We will direct them to port 80 or 443 when we go to production.

OO

Philip Durbin

Feb 11, 2016, 9:38:52 AM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You have two servers.

On the DVN 3.x server can you see the app running at http://locahost:8080/dvn ? If not, what do you see? Please attach a screenshot.

On the Dataverse 4 server can you see the app running at http://localhost:8080 ? If not, what do you see? Please attach a screenshot.

It's a little hard and confusing to troubleshoot both of these at once but I'll continue to try. :)

Thanks.

ofu...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 7:49:52 AM2/12/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Dataverse 4 is ok.

This is what I get running http://locahost:8080/dvn :

OO

dvn3x.png

Philip Durbin

Feb 12, 2016, 1:27:31 PM2/12/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to hear Dataverse 4 is ok. :)

For your DVN 3.x installation, what do you get at http://localhost/dvn/ ?

I'm getting the DVN 3.6 homepage (attached) because that's the version that's in our old "install demo" repo at https://github.com/dvn/dvn-install-demo

Here's how it looks from the command line:

$ elinks --dump http://localhost/dvn/ | head -3
 [1]Powered by the Dataverse Network Project
  v. 3.6

In short, I think I gave you some misinformation earlier (sorry!) when I wrote "In the DVN 3.x days the application was deployed to http://localhost:8080/dvn " because it looks like the DVN 3.x installer puts the app on port 80. Specifically, the installer changes the Glassfish http port from 8080 to 80 using this file: https://github.com/IQSS/dvn/blob/3.6.2/tools/installer/dvninstall/domain.xml.TEMPLATE#L251

(This whole "template" approach has gone away completely with Dataverse 4. We now very much favor using Glassfish's `asadmin` commands to configure Glassfish. You can see these `asadmin` commands at work at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.2.3/scripts/installer/glassfish-setup.sh which is called by the installer. This is described at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2.4/installation/installation-main.html#running-the-dataverse-installer .)

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. It's been quite a while since I touched DVN 3.x! To summarize, out of the box:

- DVN 3.x is deployed to port 80: http://localhost/dvn/
- Dataverse 4 is deployed to port 8080: http://localhost:8080

On the Dataverse 4 side, this is described here:

I hope this helps!

Phil

[Your]_Dataverse_Network_-_2016-02-12_13.05.54.png