Compiling Dataverse's email and "Alert" messages

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Aug 7, 2018, 11:48:28 AM8/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

The design team is compiling in this spreadsheet all of the email messages and "Alert" messages that Dataverse sends out to users or displays when users do something, and we could use help making sure we've recorded all of the messages.

The "Alert" messaging that Dataverse shows on its pages (see Dataverse style guide) looks like this:

We've looked in the bundles.properties file, where a lot of this text is (lines 562-604), and tested on demo.dataverse and Harvard Dataverse.

Do you know of any where else in the bundle.properties or the rest of the code we should look for email and "Alert" messaging? Please reply here if you have some tips.

Thanks!
Juilan

Philipp at UiT

Aug 27, 2018, 11:03:04 AM8/27/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for sharing this! I have some comments:

ID=12 (dataset was submitted for review):
>> In our Dataverse installation, some of us have both admin and curator rights in (some of the) sub-dataverses. When a dataset is submitted for review or published, those persons will get two notification. It would be nice if the application could check the recipients for duplicates before sending the notificiation.

Things in the notification:
User guides name
User guides URL
>> It would be useful if these values could be easily configured as we'd like to point to our own user guide(s).

Best,
Philipp

Heppler, Michael

Aug 27, 2018, 11:42:57 AM8/27/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Philipp,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to point out that we have an open GitHub issue regarding the duplicate notifications. I encourage you to add your feedback there as well.

Notifications: In some cases, users receive more than one notification for a single event, eg. request access. #4120

Also, in the Configuration pg of our Installation Guide, we document how you can configure the `:GuidesBaseUrl` (http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.2/installation/config.html#guidesbaseurl) in order to link your installation to your own version of the guides.

There is no configuration option for the name of the guides though. Were you hoping to change the "User Guide" link in the Dataverse navbar to something else?

Mike

Michael Heppler
User Interface Designer + Developer, Dataverse
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University
www.iq.harvard.edu

Philipp at UiT

Aug 31, 2018, 12:47:55 AM8/31/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Mike, for the info about how to configure the guide URL. I have passed this on to our system admin. Right now your GitHub site seems to be unavailable, I'll try later.

Philipp

Sherry Lake

Aug 31, 2018, 9:47:10 AM8/31/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michael,

I would love to re-visit the guide link "solution" which also causes confusion and problems. Here's how I had to configure (and work around) our UVa version of the User guides on https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu/.

There are two configurations (please let me know if there are others):   GuidesBaseURL and GuidesVersion

But using these you still do not have control over where (the directory path) your guides are located.

The default User Guides link (see Harvard) is:   http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.2/user
The configuration settings replace the default path, above like this:       GuidesBaseURL/en/GuidesVersion/user

So the only things you can change are the root/base URL and part of the URL path. You still have to have the directory "en" AND "user" for the new guide URL to work.

UVa has configured:

GuidesVersion as current

So I had to make sure that the guide version was under the "en" directory and that it had a "user" directory. I use the same sphinx documentation that Harvard uses, so "user" is automatically created, but I have to move it around to get the contents in the right place for my customized user guide to link correctly.

And yes the link text at the top is not configurable - it is static "User Guides".

I've created a few issues in the past on User guide linking that have all been closed, but not necessarily fixed or addressed in full.

Be glad to talk some more about more adjustable links. But it is useful to know that all the guide links are tightly connected to the email notifications and maybe they shouldn't?

--
Sherry

Heppler, Michael

Aug 31, 2018, 2:57:50 PM8/31/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the feedback, Sherry. I will have to look over these guides issues again in more detail.

A question I did have for you though was, why shouldn't user notifications and messaging from the app be linked to the User Guide?

Sherry Lake

Sep 4, 2018, 1:03:32 PM9/4/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Michael,

The problem with including the User Guide link in notifications & messages is what happens when we use our own User Guides and those guides don't have the same path or section that the auto-notification has.

Because the notifications are set AND the link URL is set, we can't change those and the links may not work where User Guides are changed.

The links work on my UVa site because I made sure that I had the correct URLs. If not then the un-editable link in the un-editable notifications don't work.

--
Sherry