Crosslink

SS

Oct 20, 2017, 3:04:17 PM10/20/17
to Dataverse Users Community
How do I cross link my dataset to a different dataverse with the same files?

Philip Durbin

Oct 20, 2017, 3:11:24 PM10/20/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We call this making a "link" and as explained here, you'll need click the "Support" link on the installation of Dataverse you're using and ask someone to do it for you: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8/user/dataverse-management.html#linked-dataverses-linked-datasets

The reason you can't do it yourself is that it's currently a superuser-only* feature but there is a GUI for it. We should probably mention it somewhere under the Admin Guide.

Phil

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM, SS <sakshi...@yale.edu> wrote:
How do I cross link my dataset to a different dataverse with the same files?

Philipp at UiT

Philip Durbin

Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

SS

Philip Durbin

Oct 23, 2017, 9:00:22 PM10/23/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid to give a too technical answer so let's just say, yes, if a dataset is modified those changes will be reflected in all the dataverses that link to it. All that's really happening is that a dataset shows up in two or more places. In the code we call each place a subtree because dataverses are organized in a tree. The question is which subtrees a dataset should be displayed in apart from its natural home.

You can't delete a link (as Sherry pointed out elsewhere in this thread). Of the top of my head I'm not sure what happens to the link when you delete a draft dataset. I'd consider the whole feature somewhat experimental under it's no long superuser-only.

I hope this helps,

Phil