Error in signing up as a new user in Dataverse K8S

Sharif

Nov 11, 2019, 8:37:54 AM11/11/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

I  have signed up as a new user (with ID NewUser). But I do not see any Dataverse. I just see this following message:

"Not Authorized - You are not authorized to view this page. If you believe this is an error, please contact Dataverse on K8S for assistance"

Then, I logged off and logged in as admin and added NewUser as a "File Downloader" role. Later I logged in as Newuser but got the same message.

Could you please suggest how to fix this problem?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Sharif

Philip Durbin

Nov 12, 2019, 6:32:12 AM11/12/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Have you published the root dataverse?

Falco KUB

Nov 12, 2019, 7:35:06 AM11/12/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I think I've encountered a similar problem at some point. I had to include the "ViewUnpublishedDataset" and "ViewUnpublishedDataverse" roles for that user group, otherwise they would never be able to see it unless it is published.

Philip Durbin

Nov 12, 2019, 8:47:15 AM11/12/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Can you please open an issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse-kubernetes/issues ?

Falco KUB

Nov 22, 2019, 6:58:48 AM11/22/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Sorry for the late reply, I'm still trying to figure out all the features (intentional as well as unintentional ones) of Dataverse, so I am not yet very active here.

I think that this is actually the desired behavior for the "file downloader" role: "A person who can download a published file."
It doesn't work for giving access to unpublished datasets or dataverses (there, the "Member" role should be used). That does make me wonder what this role should be used for at all? Anyone can download published files.

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:37:54 PM UTC+1, Sharif wrote:
Hello,

I  have signed up as a new user (with ID NewUser). But I do not see any Dataverse. I just see this following message:

"Not Authorized - You are not authorized to view this page. If you believe this is an error, please contact Dataverse on K8S for assistance"

Then, I logged off and logged in as admin and added NewUser as a "File Downloader" role. Later I logged in as Newuser but got the same message.

Could you please suggest how to fix this problem?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Sharif

Philip Durbin

Falco KUB

Philip Durbin

Philipp at UiT

Nov 24, 2019, 3:46:12 AM11/24/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil, for sharing this. I wasn't aware of Harvard's Subscription Data Dataverse. We have similar resources at our library that we need to manage more properly, and I think we definitely should test this out in Dataverse.

Best, Philipp

Sherry Lake

Nov 24, 2019, 8:47:08 AM11/24/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

UVa is also experimenting with adding Library “licensed” datasets to our Dataverse which can only be downloaded by UVa faculty, staff and students.

I have this written up (and in a google group discussion) and will check on it when I am back in the office on Monday.

Sherry