Dataverse and Universal Design

Philipp at UiT

Jan 27, 2020, 3:46:02 AM1/27/20
to Dataverse Users Community
At the European Dataverse Workshop 2020 I was asked about Universal Design (inclusive design, design for universal accessibility) and Dataverse. Is this an issue that has been discussed earlier? if so, can anyone point me to the discussion(s) or any other relevant link(s)?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Jan 27, 2020, 6:43:10 AM1/27/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

I don't see anything in Dataverse emails or GitHub about Universal Design so I think it's a new topic for the Dataverse community.

While searching my email I did come across this talk from 2015 that I don't believe I attended: https://www.slideshare.net/harvardwww/universal-design-for-learning-a-framework-for-addressing-learner-diversity

The same group that gave that talk apparently runs a website called "UDL on Campus" and I found Harvard content (including a post from 2019) at https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news-tags/universal-design-learning via a long list of (mostly or all US-based) colleges and universities at http://udloncampus.cast.org/page/udl_institutions

I wasn't able to find anything about Universal Design on Harvard's accessibility website: https://accessibility.huit.harvard.edu

So please tell us more. :)

Thanks,

Phil

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:46 AM Philipp at UiT <uit.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
At the European Dataverse Workshop 2020 I was asked about Universal Design (inclusive design, design for universal accessibility) and Dataverse. Is this an issue that has been discussed earlier? if so, can anyone point me to the discussion(s) or any other relevant link(s)?

Best, Philipp

Philipp at UiT

Tania Schlatter

Jan 29, 2020, 10:10:30 AM1/29/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

I assume by Universal Design you mean efforts to bring Dataverse into compliance with standards that help ensure equal access to content and functionality for all. If so, we are in the early stages of a process to identify barriers to accessibility, and resolve them. We are working toward WCAG 2 standards identified by the Harvard University Accessibility initiative. You can browse closed issues. Issue #6072 is the master issue with which we began the effort. We started with the Dataset page, and have been making changes working out from there. As we continue to make changes to the UI, we are addressing accessibility if/as possible in design and front end code changes. In this way, we are chipping away at a long to do list.

- Tania

Philipp at UiT

Jan 31, 2020, 9:46:48 AM1/31/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Tania,

I think that's what the workshop participant had in mind. Thanks for sharing this information. I'll pass it on.

Best, Philipp

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 6:43 AM Philip Durbin <philip...@harvard.edu> wrote:
[...]

Philipp Conzett

Feb 12, 2023, 7:35:01 AM2/12/23
to Dataverse Users Community
In light of new national requirements regarding the accessibility of websites in Norway, I would like to revive the conversation in GitHub issue #7523, where I also have linked to an Accessibility assessment report for DataverseNO.

I hope some of this work can contribute to the further alignment of the Dataverse software with Web Accessibility requirements and recommendations.

Best, Philipp