Datasets with large numbers of files not displaying all in Chrome?

Jonathan Bohan

Nov 28, 2017, 11:43:34 AM11/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

I am having trouble viewing all files in larger datasets - For example, I have a dataset with 75 files - when viewing in Chrome it only displays the first 25 and doesn't load the rest no matter how long I wait. When viewing in Microsoft Edge it eventually loads the other 50 into the viewing window, while displaying a rotating circle. In Chrome, that circle doesn't show up at all.

In addition, I've been having some difficulty uploading files since we upgraded to 4.8.1, it has been very difficult to upload and tag multiple files at once, the tag box doesn't go away when it should and when I close it manually and go back to the dataset, none of the tags are there. I have to go in and essentially do one at a time to get it to work. This is in Chrome, I have not tried in another browser.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if they were able to correct them.

Thank you,

Jonathan Bohan
CISER
Cornell University

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 28, 2017, 1:14:13 PM11/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for letting us know about these problems. The first, about not being able to see more than 25 files in the files table, sounds related to what's reported in this collection of github issues about issues with displaying files on the dataset page: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3404

But I can't reproduce the problem. Was this on Cornell's Dataverse? I took a look at a dataset page with 25+ files in Cornell's Dataverse and was able to see all of the file. I was using Chrome (Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit) on MacOS).

I'm looking into the issues with tagging multiple files at once and hope to get back to you soon. They remind me of some usability issues we spoke with Sonia about recently.

Julian

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 28, 2017, 1:42:28 PM11/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi again,

In your second paragraph, did I miss any other problems with uploading files in 4.8.1? For example, are there any issues with getting the files to upload as well? Or are the issues only with tagging multiple files that you upload in a dataset?

Demo Dataverse is running 4.8.1, so I used it to reproduce some problems I think you're describing with tagging multiple files at once. The tag box doesn't stall for me, but there are times when I'm not sure if my tags were actually applied. Often trying to apply tags to the files in bulk a second time works, or, like you said, tagging them individually always works.

I couldn't find a github issue describing any problems related to tagging 2+ files (although I know it's something the design team here at IQSS has discussed). Could you open an issue and describe your workflow? Or maybe we could arrange a video chat so we make sure we understand.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!
Julian

Jonathan Bohan

Dec 8, 2017, 8:28:00 AM12/8/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Julian, sorry for my delay in responding. This issue seems to have disappeared since upgrading my computer, we tested it on other computers in the office and it was working fine. Best, Jonathan

Gautier, Julian

Dec 8, 2017, 11:20:24 AM12/8/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That's great to hear! Thanks for reporting it anyway.